fish finder wiring issue

I would have posted this in the Humminbird forum but I was told by Jeff at Phoenix that since I ordered the boat with these electronics, they would be installed at the factory, so I am running with the presumption that Phoenix wired them and want to eliminate power as the issue. I am having an issue with my console mounted Helix 9. It shut off the other day while I was fishing but came back on when I hit the power button. Today, it shut off again and now it won't power back on at all. The bow mounted Helix 7 works just fine.

I noticed in the past that both units power on without the need for the master power switch to be on, so I am presuming they are wired directly to the battery or to a constant live post on the fuse panel? I checked all the breakers on the fuse panel and they are fine. I also checked the three fuses I could see in the battery compartment (one of which was labeled "depth") and two I found in the starboard front locker. All of them were also good. I took the screws out of the plate on the console that the unit is attached to, thinking I could check the back of the unit to be sure the power cord is firmly attached and look for a fuse on the wiring back there but that plate didn't want to come loose and I don't want to break it, so I opted to put the screws back in and do some research before going any further. I contacted Humminbird about this today and they are sending me an adapter that would let me power the unit up off of house power but if I can't get to the back of the unit, I can't use it. So, my questions are:

Am I missing an obvious fuse someplace?

Is there something else I need to take loose to get that panel off the console?

Anything else I am missing?
    2021 Phoenix 818 PRO/ 175hp Mercury Pro XS, 2 Helix 9s, Mega 360, Garmin 93sv, Livescope, Sea Clear harness.

2. Member
    Maybe Humminbird has the trim around the edge of the face of the unit that has to come off to get to the screws in each corner like Lowrance does, check for a trim piece around the edge.

then check all fittings/connectors/connections.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

I would check where your humminbird power cable is crimped to the boat wire. I’ve seen loose crimps on those wires since it goes from like 10 gauge to 18 gauge and it can cause a bad connection.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

4. Member
    I had the same problem on my 921 PHX. The units were dealer installed. They had to grind out a bit on the flush mount bracket where the collector for the cables went through. The edge was pushing some on the clamp that goes into the unit with the wiring, causing it to lose power some times.

5. Member
    Well, its the graph.... Guess we will find out how Humminbird works..
    2021 Phoenix 818 PRO/ 175hp Mercury Pro XS, 2 Helix 9s, Mega 360, Garmin 93sv, Livescope, Sea Clear harness.

6. Member
    Got my unit back today. It had a bad circuit board. Shoutout to Lewis Boats for fitting me in on very short notice for both the initial testing and removal and also the reinstallation. OUTSTANDING customer service!

I am also impressed with how quickly Humminbird got it fixed and returned.