Thread: NASCAR racing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Advertisers who sponsor race teams pass on the expense to the consumers who buy their products, so we all basically pay to sponsor them IF & when we buy certain products.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    How often can that engine be rebuilt during its racing life?

The price of those engines is mind boggling but when you consider they aren’t being cranked out of a factory every day and the precision machining skills that go into it aren’t cheap.

What combination of Alloys are used to make blocks and engine parts in those high compression power plants?
    I know the late models and I'm pretty sure the sprint cars use Aluminum engine blocks. And those can be welded back up and reused if something checks out and they get used up more than a steel block. Not necessarily by the big teams but they will sell it to a lower team for use and they will get years of use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sflam123 View Post
    In 2017, Jalopnik did an article where they “estimated” the cost to field a Cup car that is “Championship capable” at $1.4 million/race.

By comparison, a WoO 410 CI sprint car engine is producing over 900 HP and estimated to cost $60,000. It lasts 8-10 race nights (hopefully) before needing a $25,000 rebuild. In a perfect world, 3 engines would be required to run the WoO season (primary in car, a spare and one out for rebuild) but most teams carry 5
    the bad thing 20 years ago when Kinser, Sammy and Wolfie was racing they ran for 5000.00 on a single night or 10/12,000 for a 2 night show..
    20 years later the Outlaws and All Stars are racing for about the same amount..

WoO /Lucas Late Models guys will race for 20,000 or higher for a 2 night show..

4. TJNYSNP
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    55k for a dirt late model engine these days.
    Guy pays that price and wife files for divorce next day :) That's how it happens :)

5. Member
    I have seen boats with something like this at $94K each. times two or three.https://www.sonnysracingengines.com/...n-four-systems

6. Member
    [QUOTE=OkieBud;11830486]the bad thing 20 years ago when Kinser, Sammy and Wolfie was racing they ran for 5000.00 on a single night or 10/12,000 for a 2 night show..

WoO /Lucas Late Models guys will race for 20,000 or higher for a 2 night show..[/QUOTE. I really wish a sports network that I get would pick up the World Of Outlaws races on TV. I would love to see some of those races.

7. dartag1829
    Watched the race. How many of those guys bought there way into the series. Only recognized about a third of the field. Good to see some fans back in the stands.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Back a few years ago they had way more cars than now. A wild guess would b around 10 to 15 million a year foe sponsorship. I am pretty sure this is why a lot of the cars have different sponsors at times.
    guess 2 to 3 times that and you will be in the neighborhood
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    I know the late models and I'm pretty sure the sprint cars use Aluminum engine blocks. And those can be welded back up and reused if something checks out and they get used up more than a steel block. Not necessarily by the big teams but they will sell it to a lower team for use and they will get years of use out of it.
    Interesting thanks for the facts about the engine builders and the life span of engines it is fascinating

10. Member
    A DLM engine (Sb2, 13°/11°, D3) is anywhere from $40-50k, and currently the most expensive is an RY45 @$52-55k. Rebuilds are generally at 1000 laps, and cost $7-10k. However, I know of a certain RY45 that went 2600laps without ever removing the valve covers in 2014... and we won over $500k.

A sprint car engine generally turns about 2000rpm more, and being injected, the cost for a new one is about $10-15k more. Rebuilds are more frequent due to the higher RPM mainly, and the cost is around $15k and up. Lately though, the use of 300M rods has helped in the cost aspect, as you can reuse a 300M rod more often and with more confidence that standard 4340.

I've been all around this stupid racing crap- worked in Top Fuel, Pro Stock, NASCAR, a DLM engine shop and a prominent DLM team, hell even raced offshore boats/built offshore racing engines. Nascar used to be some of the best and brightest... Now it's (largely) a bunch of Tech School guys who are pigeonholed into doing one thing; and very few know the entire package. Not only did NASCAR shit the bed and ruin the racing, they ruined much of the engine development potential that was so exciting to be involved in. It was truly the cutting edge of internal combustion engine development.

Think about this- at one point, a flat-tappet, single carb, 2 valves per cylinder NASCAR engine produced almost exactly the same BMEP (brake mean effective pressure) at peak torque as did an 18,000-20,000rpm F1 engine, one with pneumatic valves, 4-5 valves per cylinder, direct injection etc etc. Now, they may as well run crate engines. It's funny, everytime rules are made to "help the little guy", there ends up less little guys. Hell, even when I worked in a cup engine shop, I NEVER watched a race. Couldn't bring myself to care about "young guns". Then, the stages, lucky dogs etc... I'd rather race piss droplets against the rain.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by ParDeus View Post
    A DLM engine (Sb2, 13°/11°, D3) is anywhere from $40-50k, and currently the most expensive is an RY45 @$52-55k. Rebuilds are generally at 1000 laps, and cost $7-10k. However, I know of a certain RY45 that went 2600laps without ever removing the valve covers in 2014... and we won over $500k.

A sprint car engine generally turns about 2000rpm more, and being injected, the cost for a new one is about $10-15k more. Rebuilds are more frequent due to the higher RPM mainly, and the cost is around $15k and up. Lately though, the use of 300M rods has helped in the cost aspect, as you can reuse a 300M rod more often and with more confidence that standard 4340.

I've been all around this stupid racing crap- worked in Top Fuel, Pro Stock, NASCAR, a DLM engine shop and a prominent DLM team, hell even raced offshore boats/built offshore racing engines. Nascar used to be some of the best and brightest... Now it's (largely) a bunch of Tech School guys who are pigeonholed into doing one thing; and very few know the entire package. Not only did NASCAR shit the bed and ruin the racing, they ruined much of the engine development potential that was so exciting to be involved in. It was truly the cutting edge of internal combustion engine development.

Think about this- at one point, a flat-tappet, single carb, 2 valves per cylinder NASCAR engine produced almost exactly the same BMEP (brake mean effective pressure) at peak torque as did an 18,000-20,000rpm F1 engine, one with pneumatic valves, 4-5 valves per cylinder, direct injection etc etc. Now, they may as well run crate engines. It's funny, everytime rules are made to "help the little guy", there ends up less little guys. Hell, even when I worked in a cup engine shop, I NEVER watched a race. Couldn't bring myself to care about "young guns". Then, the stages, lucky dogs etc... I'd rather race piss droplets against the rain.
    Dang you've had an interesting career would be fun to kick back and listen to all the stories you could tell and would totally enjoy more of the Hilarious Ways You Describe Situations.

12. Member
    And the flat tappets were mushroom tappets so they had higher opening and closing rates.

13. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by ParDeus View Post

Used to go to the World Of Outlaws in Michigan. Got to be friends with Stevie Smith's dad since we had the same name. He spent a lot of time showing me around his trailer. Back then he had Kriner Engines in shipping boxes. He said the Methanol was tough on the engines.. Those guys live a nomad life. Traveling and racing many times a week just to make a living. His kid was good until he got into drugs and trouble.

14. Member
    [QUOTE=yatesville88fan;11830591]
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    the bad thing 20 years ago when Kinser, Sammy and Wolfie was racing they ran for 5000.00 on a single night or 10/12,000 for a 2 night show..

WoO /Lucas Late Models guys will race for 20,000 or higher for a 2 night show..[/QUOTE. I really wish a sports network that I get would pick up the World Of Outlaws races on TV. I would love to see some of those races.
    CBS sports and Fox sports 1 carry some of the races.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123