Changed my brake lockout solenoid do I need to bleed my brakes

2014 tracker trailer, dual axel. Both axels have breaks. The surge brakes system is dexter I believe. I know the solenoid is Dexter and this is the type that the fluid does not pass through the solenoid.

Some one told me all I have to do was screw the old one out and the new one in. While doing the 5 min fix brake fluid leaked all over me. Not a lot but some.

Do I need to bleed the brake lines?

Also I opened up the brake fluid reservoir and there was a flexible rubber cup looking thing inside of the reservoir cap half in half out. It doesn’t fit anywhere well. What is it? How should I have it installed when done properly?

Thank you!

YES! Depending on your trailer you may need only to bleed the starboards side. My calipers were hosed in series so only one side had a bleed valve. If the manufacturer put the Y at the center of the axle you'll need to bleed both sides. Bleed the longest path first. Push the rubber diaphragm back into the cap after filling the reservoir. It keeps the piston from sucking air as fluid is moved toward the caliper.
    Last edited by Booster; 04-18-2021 at 02:17 PM.
    2018 Nitro Z18
    175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

3. Member
    Thanks for the info! Time to research bleeding brakes.. ugh. I know it’s not hard but just don’t want to do it. I hate domino effect jobs.

I’ll play with the diaphragm but I could not get it to seat in the cap. It was to wide to site inside the cap. I’ll do some searches for pics on that also.

4. Member
    Get a vacuum bleeder at harbor freight if u have a compressor
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    Thanks for the tip! Getting one today!

6. Member
    Cut a funnel to fit so you can over fill funnel and bleed one and check, keep full and you can suck excess out of funnel when done....I had to cut end off funnel so it would seal tight in master cylinder hole....
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823