Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BassnChris View Post
    Not yet. Between weather and other obligations I have been kept off the water.

Hopefully, gonna get out this coming Saturday.

I do have it placed in one of those areas with sandbag on it...ready to test.
    I feel pretty confident that you will have good success having it placed in that area. My original Lowrance puck was epoxied there from the Triton factory, and my last two Humminbird pucks have worked as well in those areas up on plane and 100% of the time when running. My brother has a TR186 and he has also had the same results by using those transom areas for his transducer pucks. I think that is the sweet spot for these Tritons.

Not yet. Between weather and other obligations I have been kept off the water.

Hopefully, gonna get out this coming Saturday.

I do have it placed in one of those areas with sandbag on it...ready to test.
    Don't forget that you will need to pull the fuse out of your auto bilge pump harness (or unplug the wire from the pump) temporarily to allow the water to remain in the hull covering the puck for testing.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    Don't forget that you will need to pull the fuse out of your auto bilge pump harness (or unplug the wire from the pump) temporarily to allow the water to remain in the hull covering the puck for testing.
    Yepper...thanks.
    I will report back with results after I test it this weekend.

Yepper...thanks.
    I will report back with results after I test it this weekend.
    Wishing you the best of luck. I think you will be successful in that placement location.

5. Member
    Wishing you the best of luck. I think you will be successful in that placement location.
    I tested it and I lost signal at about 45 mph.
    That's better than the other locations.

Does your's maintain signal at higher speeds?

I tested it and I lost signal at about 45 mph.
    That's better than the other locations.

Does your's maintain signal at higher speeds?
    Yes. With mine mounted in that location, I don't lose signal at all now. Did you try to move it around a little on the ledges on both sides and test in the different positions? If not, you might try that and see if you can optimize for best performance. Probably the farther back toward the transom you place it the better.
    Last edited by bombercraw; 05-26-2021 at 08:23 PM.

7. Member
    Yes. With mine mounted in that location, I don't signal at all now. Did you try to move it around a little on the ledges on both sides and test in the different positions? If not, you might try that and see if you can optimize for best performance. Probably the farther back toward the transom you place it the better.
    Thanks, I'll keep trying.....I only tried on port side.

Yeah, I'd not only try both the port and starboard side, but also try moving it a bit in those locations along both sides. You should be able to find a sweet spot that will work regardless of your speed. As I mentioned before, that's the location that Triton installed my original transducer puck at the factory, and I'm guessing they knew those areas are the best place for mounting.

9. Member
    just curious.....did the boat come with one that was mounted originally????.....maybe mount the new one close to it....i put a new one in my 2016 179 trx....just put it next to the one that came with the boat....works fine...

Quote Originally Posted by vin059 View Post
    just curious.....did the boat come with one that was mounted originally????.....maybe mount the new one close to it....i put a new one in my 2016 179 trx....just put it next to the one that came with the boat....works fine...
    That's what I did, which is why I had given BassnChris the suggestion to try the area's mentioned. Triton factory had mounted my original Lowrance transuducer there so I figured it was a good area to mount others.

11. Member
    That's what I did, which is why I had given BassnChris the suggestion to try the area's mentioned. Triton factory had mounted my original Lowrance transuducer there so I figured it was a good area to mount others.
    I spent 2 hours moving the transducer around on both sides and the best I could get was 43 mph and then it would lose bottom.

If you have time can you send me a pic of your transducer location so I can see if I amlooking in the wrong place?

12. Member
    When I got the boat it had 2 transducers in one puddle of epoxy but the epoxy was not stuck to the boat.....they were just laying on the bottom of the bilge and I could not tell where they had been placed.

I spent 2 hours moving the transducer around on both sides and the best I could get was 43 mph and then it would lose bottom.

If you have time can you send me a pic of your transducer location so I can see if I amlooking in the wrong place?
    First chance I get, I'll take a picture of where mine are located and post it so you can see.

14. Member
    First chance I get, I'll take a picture of where mine are located and post it so you can see.
    Thank you. I appreciate that.

15. Member
    Any chance you took the pics and didn't have time to post

Any chance you took the pics and didn't have time to post
    Sorry, I have been busy and out of town more often than not the last several weeks. Please see the attached photo. The red circled transducer is located in the area where I have had good luck (and there is a spot on both sides of the transom that I have found works for transducer placement). The yellow circled spot is where I attempted to mount a transducer and had the same results you are seeing i.e., loss of depth when on plane etc. You can see the ring of epoxy. Like I mentioned, the area circled in red works for me and was also the area where the Triton factory had installed my original transducer as well.

Any luck on this?

18. Member
    Not yet.
    In the pic...is the Transom where arrow is pointed?
    image001.pngimage001.png

Not yet.
    In the pic...is the Transom where arrow is pointed?
    image001.pngimage001.png

Yes that is correct. Transom is where the arrow is pointed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12