2007 75hp Optimax Starter/Flywheel Grindning

2007 75hp Opti starter/flywheel grinding I tried another starter and get the same thing. The flywheel shows wear on the teeth. Is there something else causing this or did the starter cause the problem and both flywheel and starter need replacing? Or is there another issue that can cause this?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to check to make sure there is not something causing the powerhead or gearcase to bind. Also make sure there's no lateral movement in the flywheel/crankshaft (such as might be present if an upper crank bearing failed).

If there are no problems in the powerhead or gearcase, you'll likely have to replace BOTH the flywheel and the starter. Make sure the starter's "bumper" is in place as well (critical item).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    dont mean to hijack but what do you mean by the starter bumper ? mine makes a squealing noise sometimes i have checked the shaft and made sure is was ok and not dry , no movement in the flywheel
    same motor as his

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Open a separate thread, with your engine serial number so that we can show the parts detail to better assist you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor