2021 Caymas CX20 Pro questions

Just picked up my CX20 Pro last Friday, mine has the upgrade to Humminbird Helix 12’s. I’m wondering what the upgrade “NMEA” does? As far as I can tell, the Helix 12 in the dash is not connected to the motor. Also, the brochure says “Ethernet Cable”. Is there a hub somewhere or just a cable? I’m adding 360 and a second 12 on the bow.

2. Member
    The pro package cames with one hot to dash, one Ethernet, one NEMA for one unit. Under dash is a grah clean power block.10g wire to it. 2 hots and 2 grounds run from it up to bow. Also a gps hot and ground to bow. Etherent and NEMA. Ive wired many.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz1 View Post
    Just picked up my CX20 Pro last Friday, mine has the upgrade to Humminbird Helix 12’s. I’m wondering what the upgrade “NMEA” does? As far as I can tell, the Helix 12 in the dash is not connected to the motor. Also, the brochure says “Ethernet Cable”. Is there a hub somewhere or just a cable? I’m adding 360 and a second 12 on the bow.

If you are planning on adding several more big units i would get a sea clear power system and a stand alone battery for electronics only, mine absolutely works great with no problems at all, i have three HDS 12 and a Garmin Live Scope and they do pull some juice off my 125 ah Lithium Ionic. Check out their sea clear power post on u tube, they have every thing done absolutely right on their wiring system!!!! From being in business of selling boats and rigging them for over 25 years i can tell you that having good power is very important for your electronics to work right and these new ones pull a lot.
    Last edited by CaymasRodney; 04-19-2021 at 05:46 AM.

4. Member
    My original question was, what does the upgraded NEMA cable do?

5. Member
    Never heard of any upgraded NEMA. Pro boat comes with above answer. Upgraded from 9" units to any 12" is the upgrade. NEMA is just point one on back,not to motor. NEMA connects to dash,then on to bow to units. This is on all cx pro boats. Only upgrade would have been if someone purshased extra motor module, that connects to motor for motor read outs.

6. Member
    Ok, so maybe it's technically not an 'upgrade' on the Pro model, the brochure lists a "NEMA Harness" as one of the upgrades from the non-Pro model. The Humminbirds are networked through the Ethernet cable. I know that the Mercury Motor is NEMA 2000 compatible, however, no one can tell me what this "NEMA Harness" as listed on the website and the brochure does. IF it is how the Lowrance units are connected, it should be noted as such. The owners manual is worthless.

7. Member
    NMEA allows different type units to share information. Ways points. Point 1,weather,etc.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    Never heard of any upgraded NEMA. Pro boat comes with above answer. Upgraded from 9" units to any 12" is the upgrade. NEMA is just point one on back,not to motor. NEMA connects to dash,then on to bow to units. This is on all cx pro boats. Only upgrade would have been if someone purshased extra motor module, that connects to motor for motor read outs.
    Spot on answer!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    NMEA allows different type units to share information. Ways points. Point 1,weather,etc.
    Spot on again! The nmea use to be used only on Lowrance but now its used on all the electronics. If you want your graphs reading your engine data you need to look at View Vessel that links your engine to your electronics. Personally i wish Earl would just go with the Smart Craft gauge, would eliminate some head aches, one being you could keep[ better track of the fuel you use more actuarially .

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Spot on again! The nmea use to be used only on Lowrance but now its used on all the electronics. If you want your graphs reading your engine data you need to look at View Vessel that links your engine to your electronics. Personally i wish Earl would just go with the Smart Craft gauge, would eliminate some head aches, one being you could keep[ better track of the fuel you use more actuarially .
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to figure out my boat. The brochure says "NEMA harness", however, if you do a search on the internet, it's "NMEA" and usually followed by 0183 or 2000. I had a NMEA 2000 harness and hub on my Ranger with a Yamaha, connected to my Humminbirds that provided engine data on the 'bird. I called the Caymas factory yesterday and they were unsure...put me on hold and came back with the statement that "NEMA transfers data, Ethernet transfers images". What ever that means. I'll figure it out on my own, but it seems like one of the selling points of the Pro model that no one can explain.

11. Member

caymas pro

This should answer all your questions. The pro package doesn't have any NMEA add ons except point 1. Your Ethernet will do all your sharing between units. Basically all NMEA is, is a clean Electrical wiring proving 'power' to add on items, that connect to units. Ethernet doesn't require Electrical power. The caymas pro model just provides Power, NMEA, Ethernet, point 1. The non pro model has a "10ga clean power" buses block under dash. You have to run your own wiring from the block to dash and bow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by billproxs; 04-20-2021 at 08:59 AM.