Helix 12 keeps switching to mapping screen

I have 2 Helix 12 G3Ns on my bow. One runs my Mega 360 the other runs my 2D, SI, and DI. Yesterday I hit a pretty good wake on my way to my next spot. After I got to my spot, I put the TM down and noticed that my unit that runs my 360 is on the mapping screen. I switched it to my 360 screen and a little while later noticed it was back to the mapping screen. It did this the rest of the afternoon. I am also getting the messages, 2D sonar source lost, DI sonar lost and Mega 360 source lost. I can hit my quick key and the 360 will come back on. It might run for one min, it might run for 5 mins before it switches to the mapping screen and I get the messages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check the fit of the cable collector on the back of the unit.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne.

4. Member
    Mine is doing the same thing. after talking with support, they had me disconnect my ethernet connections and guess what.... they stopped switching screens. Turns out i have a bad port (or two) on my network hub. However, there is no repair on the hubs so i'm out another $270 to get it replaced.

5. Member
    Call around to a site sponsor. Should be able to beat 270 by plenty!
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy9nc View Post
    Mine is doing the same thing. after talking with support, they had me disconnect my ethernet connections and guess what.... they stopped switching screens. Turns out i have a bad port (or two) on my network hub. However, there is no repair on the hubs so i'm out another $270 to get it replaced.
    Flat rate repair is $79.45 for the AS ETH 5XPG ...

https://www.humminbird.com/support/faqs/RepairFees

I just sent one in late last week for repair ...

Rickie

7. Member
    I just had the same problem with my Helix yesterday. My G4Helix Units are only 6 weeks old. I just had a HBird 360 wired a couple of days ago. My Console unit is the one that is switching from SI or 2D back to mapping. My Bow mount doesn’t seem to be doing that.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky6153 View Post
    I have 2 Helix 12 G3Ns on my bow. One runs my Mega 360 the other runs my 2D, SI, and DI. Yesterday I hit a pretty good wake on my way to my next spot. After I got to my spot, I put the TM down and noticed that my unit that runs my 360 is on the mapping screen. I switched it to my 360 screen and a little while later noticed it was back to the mapping screen. It did this the rest of the afternoon. I am also getting the messages, 2D sonar source lost, DI sonar lost and Mega 360 source lost. I can hit my quick key and the 360 will come back on. It might run for one min, it might run for 5 mins before it switches to the mapping screen and I get the messages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I contacted HBird and they said it seems the unit may be losing communication with the transducer. They said to check power for 12 volts and ensure the cable to the transducer is not damaged.
    Also said to restore the unit back to factory defaults under the Setup Menu.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    I contacted HBird and they said it seems the unit may be losing communication with the transducer. They said to check power for 12 volts and ensure the cable to the transducer is not damaged.
    Also said to restore the unit back to factory defaults under the Setup Menu.
    Make sure the transducer cable is seated all the way forward in the connector tray and making good connection to back of unit. The connectors can sometimes back off from the front of the connector tray and not make good contact. Was just out yesterday and had it happen on two units.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    Flat rate repair is $79.45 for the AS ETH 5XPG ...

https://www.humminbird.com/support/faqs/RepairFees

I just sent one in late last week for repair ...

Rickie
    Just an update on my AS ETH 5XPG sent to HB for repair ...

HB replaced the AS ETH 5XPG for the $79.45 flat rate fee ...

Technician diagnosis was listed as “cannot connect” ...

The serial number on the replacement shows made March 6, 2020 so I do not know if the replacement is a repaired AS ETH 5XPG or a new unused AS ETH 5XPG ...

HB also sent a new power cable for the AS ETH 5XPG even tho I did not send the old one in ...

Rickie

11. Member
    Rickie, Probably not pertinent, but did you note the the software # on your switches? I have never seen an upgrade, but FishSmart provides an upgrade #. Mine is 4.20.(about 4 years old)
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Rickie, Probably not pertinent, but did you note the the software # on your switches? I have never seen an upgrade, but FishSmart provides an upgrade #. Mine is 4.20.(about 4 years old)
    No sir ... I did not note the software version - only the serial numbers to know if HB repaired or replaced mine ...

Rickie