Fish finder install on classic xl - questions on how to

How hard is it to install a fish finder at the bow of a classic xl? I understand how to mount the transducer to the trolling motor, but how do you run the power lines to the battery in the back of the boat? Or do I need to get a dedicated battery up at the bow?

Also, I want to swap a Lowrance Hook 7 triple shot at the console and remove the hook 4, would the power be the same as the 4, or would I need to install new power? I am confused how this ties in to the battery...
    For the transducer, it looks like I would just follow the old cable towards the back, run the new one on the same path, and replace the transducer but on the same bracket (or would I need a new transducer bracket?)..am I thinking about this correctly?

any tips from tracker owners that upgraded their classic XL?

2. Member
    I only replaced the Lowrance at the helm with a Simrad that I can mirror the image to a phone or small tablet that I set on the carpeted angle at the very front of the deck. I can control the Simrad from upfront with their app.

3. Member
    Last edited by Mutt; 12-20-2021 at 12:02 AM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    there is a power lead in the bow for a fish finder already.
    I saw that, but so also noticed it runs along the power cable for the TM, which I don’t think you would want to connect the fish finder wires that close to trolling motor power cables for interference prevention...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkmaster View Post
    I saw that, but so also noticed it runs along the power cable for the TM, which I don’t think you would want to connect the fish finder wires that close to trolling motor power cables for interference prevention...
    It hasn't been a problem on my boat.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

6. Member

7. Member
    I've been trying to do the same on a Pro 170 and the unit won't power on. I have 12v at the wires and at the plug. It works fine if I run wires directly to the battery though just not off of those accessory wires for some reason

8. Member
    I ran mine between the deck and the gunnel back to the helm and tied it into the acc circuit with it's own fuse. Put Helix 7's at the bow and helm. Just use the rounded back side of a pick to push it under the gunnel.

How hard is it to install a fish finder at the bow of a classic xl? I understand how to mount the transducer to the trolling motor, but how do you run the power lines to the battery in the back of the boat? Or do I need to get a dedicated battery up at the bow?

Also, I want to swap a Lowrance Hook 7 triple shot at the console and remove the hook 4, would the power be the same as the 4, or would I need to install new power? I am confused how this ties in to the battery...
    For the transducer, it looks like I would just follow the old cable towards the back, run the new one on the same path, and replace the transducer but on the same bracket (or would I need a new transducer bracket?)..am I thinking about this correctly?

Remove the front carpeted panel. There should be a total of about 7 sheet metal self tapping screws if the panel has never been removed. There should be some wiring with blue butt connectors already attached to them. I don't remember the color of the wires but they are covered with flex tubing. That will be the power and ground your fishfinder needs to power it. If you run a Minn Kota or similar troller motor that has spot lock and you need to hook up your sonar, that is a safe place to run your power and ground from as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mburgess33 View Post
    I've been trying to do the same on a Pro 170 and the unit won't power on. I have 12v at the wires and at the plug. It works fine if I run wires directly to the battery though just not off of those accessory wires for some reason
    You may want to check your fuse underneath the driver's console. It's likely you blew it at some point either trying to work on it, or it was just blown from the start.
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 05-14-2021 at 09:37 PM.

11. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    I think you quoted the wrong person.
    Oh good catch! This forum is harder to use this on my phone vs some of the others I use. Fixed now.

13. Member
    Last edited by Mutt; 12-20-2021 at 12:01 AM.

14. Member

Hi and sorry for the up. Did you solve it somehow? Got experience only with Striker Plus(this). Thinking about upgrade too atm, but little bit afraid after your post. Things can go wrong. I know myself
    Last edited by jeremy_w; 02-13-2022 at 08:34 PM.