Slow going out there

Got out for a couple of hours Thursday, after work... just in time for the sleet to start. Managed one decent smallie on a Rapala jerkbait. 50F on Gregg. Spent four hours at Massasecum today. 43 at the launch (downwind), 47 elsewhere. Got a smallmouth on the Rap, and a 2.5 larry on a Staysee 90SP. Boat still had a little white stuff, when I took out. https://photos.app.goo.gl/VTBZZqiMSkocMueW8

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

2. Member
    Glad someone is catching them, I havent caught jack crap the last few times out. Sat morning as the snow was melting I hit my little pond. Fished for 2 hrs deep as the water felt super cold. Fished from 3 to 12 ft throwing jerkbaits/ jigs and a swim bait. Not a nibble. Saw a drake pintail duck working in the backwater and decided I would try to get a pic so I eased on up into the real shallow stuff. Duck spooked didnt get a pic but took a cast with a crappy senko and caught a bass in 6" of water. So I'm totally lost now.....

3. Member
    Sunday was brutally slow. Met up with Travis Rockett on Ossipee to start and he had 1 smallmouth in 4 hours, I had nothing. Moved down to Wentworth for about 3 hours and salvaged the day a bit where he got one more 3+ largemouth there, and I picked up three short but FAT smallmouth, two on a jerkbait and one on a chatterbait. Heard from quite a few others that it was equally as slow for them, only know of two people so far that did really well.

Didn't get out Saturday, but had all last week off and fish Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Slower than slow the first two days in that stretch, and Thursday was another 2 lake day. First spot we tried was small but deep smallmouth lake, and had nothing going on for 2.5 hours. Combed the whole lake and didn't see a single thing to make me feel good about it. So we bounced to another spot over in Greenfield and that was a good decision. Hammered the wind blown shore and smacked them around for the 3 hours we had. Should have caught more but once I had I think 8 in the boat in the first 30 min, I put the chatterbait down and tried forcing a BIG bait bite for a bit. First cast with my 7" shallow crankdown swimbait I caught a decent 2+ lber, then got smoked on the second cast and still somehow lost it. Nothing on that bait or any other big bait for over an hour, went back to the chatterbait and picked up 4 more in very short order. Then the cold air finally moved in ahead of that storm we got hit by on Friday and the bite just shut off, water temp started dropping fast.

Doesn't look good this week either right now unfortunately. Just do the best we can with whatever the hell mother nature has in store for us.

4. Member
    FWIW, the launch is still closed at Stumpfield.

I have skunked on the jerkbait this year but I think it has helped as I have basically put them away and thrown other baits that I would usually throw a little later in the spring with great success so far this year

My usually fishing partner has kept at it with the jerk bait and it’s not working out very well for him and he is throwing my usual hot color

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    I have basically put them away and thrown other baits that I would usually throw a little later in the spring
    I've been doing the same - trying to get a crankbait and/or chatterbait bite going, but no love so far in waters under 50F. Had some good action on a balsa stickbait, but getting a keeper was the tough part. Blanked on the M. river with squarebills and flatsides in laydowns yesterday afternoon, before throwing the F9 in a backwater. Got a small guy and two good ones quickly before my nerves buckled in the lightening & downpour.

Thursday 20-30 mph winds ... caught everything on a crank bait couldn’t get a sniff on a jig or anything else .. yesterday moderate wind could not get bit on anything but a jig in those same exact areas ... have not caught crap this year on a chatter bait or a jerkbait

The year is strange.. but I will say out of 20 trips this year is to keep trying different things .. once you find it put everything else away .. not one trip have we had multiple types of baits produce great .. one bait always seems to be keyed on by all the fish in the lake

8. Member
    Got a couple on crank baits, but its been slow.