Triton 180 w/115hp and Jack Plate thoughts?

Got this setup last year. Only had 150 hours on the whole setup. Boat and motor made in 2000. It's the 115 FICHT motor.

I've had jack plates in the past for different reasons but was wondering if it would be benficial for this one. I run about 50mph right now but my hole shot is slow. I could have the prop drilled as well but if the jack plate would help I'd hold off on the prop work. I did go from a 21p aluminum 3 blade to a 19p stainless 4 blade which helped.

Thanks for any thought or advice.
    Last edited by Podcast; 04-17-2021 at 09:06 PM.
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

2. Member
    Jack plate may help.

I already had a pretty good hole shot with my 97 tr17 with a 130 johnson on it (23p SS 3 blade), hole shot improved with plate but didn't do anything for top end..

I think the bigger problem might just be a lack of power on the boat.
    Fish have fins, they swim

3. Member
    Having the prop drilled and adding PVS holes to the prop so you can regulate venting on take off will help hole shot more than a jack plate.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Podcast View Post
    Got this setup last year. Only had 150 hours on the whole setup. Boat and motor made in 2000. It's the 115 FICHT motor.

I've had jack plates in the past for different reasons but was wondering if it would be benficial for this one. I run about 50mph right now but my hole shot is slow. I could have the prop drilled as well but if the jack plate would help I'd hold off on the prop work. I did go from a 21p aluminum 3 blade to a 19p stainless 4 blade which helped.

Thanks for any thought or advice.
    I've had the same thoughts. It's only rated for a 150. I did talk with a prop shop finally today and the hub holes will likely be the biggest help on my case. He stated that the 115 should push me even out of the hole good after the holes are drilled and my top end is really good. We shall see after that.
    Last edited by Podcast; 04-24-2021 at 12:22 AM.
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons