Pool 13 spring lake?

I've been working too much. I think I might take off next weekend and check out the pool 13 savanna area. I have never been to this area. Could someone please recommend a good hotel or maybe campground? Are there any hazards I need to watch out for? What would be my best bet on baits and techniques?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Member
    Sand burr run golf course has a hotel on the property. Spring lake campground 5 miles north of there is nice. There is a hotel in savanna by the McDonalds too. Lots of stumps and shallow flats around the west and north west part of spring lake. Water level is low compared to most years for springtime. Throw moving baits until you get a bite then slow down. Good luck

3. Member
    Sent a pm
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

Savanna Inn (815-273-2288) is the one by McDonalds ... it runs btw $79- 100 but it is clean and they have power/parking for your trailer. There is also the Villager Motel in Thompson (815-259-7378) it's in the shadow of the Federal prison. There are a couple camp ground spots that I know nothing about. In normal times the Savanna Inn puts out a very good breakfast buffet at no cost.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

5. Member
    Thank-you everyone. Hope I don't hit one of those stumps!

You ask about hazards. Yes, there are channel markers. Red mark the Illinois side. Green mark the Iowa side. Stay between them. Any where else is unknown. We had several skeg and prop repairs as we learned our way around. There are many wing dams that the Army Corps of Engineers have placed to direct the heavy current away from shoreline erosion. Depending on the river level, these wing dams can discourage you from cutting corners. In a few locations there are closing dams that run between islands and the shoreline. Stumpfields, sandbars, weedbeds, low water are all what separates the river from a lake or reservoir generally. But bass like clear water, some current, some structure, and red Rangers. There are some great backwater lakes and oxbows that separate this pool from others... knowing how to get into them is the key. Your best bet being new to 13 is to fish Spring Lake this time of year. It is mostly shallow and your depth finder may read 2-6 ft when running. But it is loaded this time of the year - hence the name Spring Lake. There is a ramp south of Savanna that you can use for $5. with good parking. Oh yeah, take a picture & let 'em go.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

7. Member
    Does anyone have a map of where you can run in spring lake? I have been told there are stumps behind the island on the west side.... I have also found stumps on the northwest corner... the times I have fished there I basically run to the middle or back and idle everywhere after that. Not the most fun place to get around in for someone fairly inexperienced there.

Motel Updates: I was driving north on 84 from Clinton and noticed that the Villager Motel in Thompson is now the Executive ... then up the road, I saw that Bucks Barn (Sandburr?) was open again (renovated) as was the golf course and it is now a Best Western named Sure Stay ... it looked well renovated. I still stay at the Savanna Inn - but there are now some other good choices.
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 05-17-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200