Thread: throttle panel

throttle panel

HAS ANYONE REMOVED THE THROTTLE PANEL ON A PRO 170? i WANT TO REMOVE FISH finder cable as it won't pull through, I have removed about a dozen screws and it still won't come loose. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    Never mind, I figured it. Just wasn't pulling hard enough.

Im trying to take off that panel off a 170 as well. How did you locate the screws? I've only found 3 and there's obviously a lot more. Thanks

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by @Reel_Chris View Post
    Im trying to take off that panel off a 170 as well. How did you locate the screws? I've only found 3 and there's obviously a lot more. Thanks
    I realize this is an older thread, but there aren't any meaningful directions on how to do this - so I thought I'd share.

I have a Tracker Pro 170 2022.

If you're looking to remove the entire side panel, you'll have to do a bit more work with screw removal - and the load capacity and carbon monoxide safety signs - but if you only want to remove the throttle handle, do the following:
    1. Put the throttle handle in neutral
    2. At this point the center button will be in the free position - it will be able to be removed. Take a very small screwdriver and lift it out until you can get a small (and it will be very small) lip around the entire circumference.
    3. Get a tool - I used a relatively new pair of knipex plumbing pliers and was able to grab that tiny lip and that plastic button pulls right out. Getting the right tool here is crucial as it needs to grab a very small area from that button - likely 3 mm.
    4. Then get an 11/16 socket to remove the brass nut (blue loc-tighted in) - it can be short, but you'll need an extension on it. Of course, if you have a deep 11/16 socket, you won't have to worry about this.
    5. Pull out the throttle handle.
    Tips:
    Be mindful of the cable orientation, and make sure you put it back in the correct position or you will have issues with the throttle mechanics.
    Clean up the brass nut when you take it out and apply more loc-tite when you put it back in.
    I don't know the torque settings, but I wish I did - if anyone knows this, I'd appreciate letting me know.

That should do it. Good luck and happy and safe boating.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by @Reel_Chris View Post
    I realize this is an older thread, but there aren't any meaningful directions on how to do this - so I thought I'd share.

I have a Tracker Pro 170 2022.

If you're looking to remove the entire side panel, you'll have to do a bit more work with screw removal - and the load capacity and carbon monoxide safety signs - but if you only want to remove the throttle handle, do the following:
    1. Put the throttle handle in neutral
    2. At this point the center button will be in the free position - it will be able to be removed. Take a very small screwdriver and lift it out until you can get a small (and it will be very small) lip around the entire circumference.
    3. Get a tool - I used a relatively new pair of knipex plumbing pliers and was able to grab that tiny lip and that plastic button pulls right out. Getting the right tool here is crucial as it needs to grab a very small area from that button - likely 3 mm.
    4. Then get an 11/16 socket to remove the brass nut (blue loc-tighted in) - it can be short, but you'll need an extension on it. Of course, if you have a deep 11/16 socket, you won't have to worry about this.
    5. Pull out the throttle handle.
    Tips:
    Be mindful of the cable orientation, and make sure you put it back in the correct position or you will have issues with the throttle mechanics.
    Clean up the brass nut when you take it out and apply more loc-tite when you put it back in.
    I don't know the torque settings, but I wish I did - if anyone knows this, I'd appreciate letting me know.

That should do it. Good luck and happy and safe boating.

6. Member
    Just to add to the above... finagling a section of mono into the gap at the circumference of the center button, then wrapping it around the button a time or two and pull straight out, has worked for me in the past, and does not carry the risk of tool marks on the button.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S