Breaker question

I am in the process of cleaning up all of the connections on my crank battery, so I am wiring up a fuse panel with shut off that I am attaching to the top of my aluminum battery tray. In the pic, I have indicated with my thumb where the pos wire from the shut off will attach to the pos post of the crank battery. It is only about a 6-7 inch run from the shut off to the battery post. Do I still have to put an inline breaker on that run from switch to post? If so, then I also know that I could alternatively purchase a Blue Seas breaker/switch and replace the shut off that I have. I have seen installs where some have a breaker and some that don't.

thumbnail (1).jpg
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

2. Member
    If it is still in the same compartment it is not necessary. If it goes through a bulkhead I would use a fuse or breaker. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    Thanks Bob. It is all contained in the rear battery compartment, and, as I mentioned the panel and switch will actually sit right on top of the battery itself.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Thanks Bob. It is all contained in the rear battery compartment, and, as I mentioned the panel and switch will actually sit right on top of the battery itself.
    I myself avoid placing fuse panels and electronics in the same compartment of a battery.

Your panel is located in the same compartment and is on top of the battery. You will need if using a lead acid to specify it be a sealed AGM type and not a flooded lead acid which would be venting corrosive fumes. You will need to also respect the max combined amperage rating of the panel/circuits over the life of the boat whenever adding future accessories as there is no main circuit breaker protection.

5. Member
    It is an AGM. I am considering putting the panel and switch beside the battery instead, as I am limited as to where I can put it.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S