HDS gen3 units . What transducer should I use up front on minnkota fortrex

Currently run a spotlight scan transducer, but the temp sensor went bad and I cannot stand running to the console every time I want to check water temp. Im running an HDS Gen3. Didn't want to spend the money on the spotlight scan again because I don't use that feature. Does anyone have any good suggestions on a transducer or have one for sale?? Thanks!

2. Member
    A HDI with trolling motor mount. Like transducer shield and saver trolling motor mount. Have you checked your data source for the water temp? If you have 2 units linked via ethernet you could pull the water temp source off the rear unit
    Last edited by acwd1950; 04-17-2021 at 06:08 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acwd1950 View Post
    A HDI with trolling motor mount. Like transducer shield and saver trolling motor mount. Have you checked your data source for the water temp? If you have 2 units linked via ethernet you could pull the water temp source off the rear unit
    This is what I do. Might save you from making a change. Spotlight DS is comparable to HDI. If you want to invest, the AI 3/1 is an option.
    Geoff Soard

2005 Ranger 521VX - 2012 Yamaha 250 VMax
    1996 Ranger 485V - 2016 Evinrude E-Tec 175

Always buying G. Loomis "Green" NRX, GLX CBRs and others.

4. Member
    Active Imaging 3 in 1 is not compatible with HDS Gen 3.
    Youy could pull temp from your transom-transducer if the transducer up front works well. If not, 83/200-HDI will be the typical choice providing 2D and downscan just like your Spotlight did, or a TotalScan if you want to add sidescan to the mix.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Active Imaging 3 in 1 is not compatible with HDS Gen 3.
    Youy could pull temp from your transom-transducer if the transducer up front works well. If not, 83/200-HDI will be the typical choice providing 2D and downscan just like your Spotlight did, or a TotalScan if you want to add sidescan to the mix.
    Ah good catch TC....I have a Carbon and a Gen 3 and forgot that the AI only works on Carbon and above.
    Geoff Soard

2005 Ranger 521VX - 2012 Yamaha 250 VMax
    1996 Ranger 485V - 2016 Evinrude E-Tec 175

Always buying G. Loomis "Green" NRX, GLX CBRs and others.