Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    And do't try to "learn" with an unbalanced boat. Put a level across it and adjust weight, how you normally fish, until level. Makes learning how to drive it much quicker and easier.
    Yes^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ definitely!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

2. Member
    You will seldom find a bass boat that is too big unless you fish some really skinny water. Don't spear waves, don't jump waves, it's a boat not an airplane or a submarine.

3. Member
    Like others have said you only have to go as fast as you are comfortable with. I used my buddies phoenix with a 250 from time to time and I usually just cruise around at 60-65 which is my comfort level, even though the boat is more than capable to go 72-74,
    Fish have fins, they swim

4. Member
    My boat does 75 loaded. I used to drive with the hammer down all the time. As I have gotten older, I find that most of the time now I'm happy with 60mph. It saves a ton more gas too. Just because a boat will do 70+, that doesn't mean you have to to enjoy it.

5. Member
    generally speaking the faster hulls you do have some driver input when you get in the upper 70s and beyond, but there are brands like skeeter that are not as fast but at its top speed you just ride in the boat. You could take your hands off the steering wheel.

6. Member
    It takes 30 hours. No matter what boat, that’s how long it takes to get completely comfortable with it. Then you’ll start trying stupid stuff to get 1 more mph out of it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    And do't try to "learn" with an unbalanced boat. Put a level across it and adjust weight, how you normally fish, until level. Makes learning how to drive it much quicker and easier.
    interesting concept, where do you place the level, front deck, rear deck, verticals and/or horizontal??

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    interesting concept, where do you place the level, front deck, rear deck, verticals and/or horizontal??
    Either deck, but place it horizontal, left to right. You are trying to achieve left to right balance. And balance it how you fish. If you fish solo, balance solo. If you fish team, balance team. It's far easier to learn to drive balanced, and once you learn, then compensate unbalance of with/without passenger with driving.

9. Member
    Gee. Don't forget to be in the driver's seat when you "level" it.

10. Member
    I recently purchased a new TRX 189 Triton bass boat with a Mercury 175 HP Pro XS 4 stroke motor. I have no problem driving it fast but when I slow down the bow rises too much. Any tips, suggestions as to how to improve this problem from you veteran bass boat pilots will be greatly appreciated. I have very little seat time in this new boat. Thank you

11. Member
    I just came from a Ranger to a Phoenix. Love the boat, but I need to get more seat time. The walking is a new phenomenon for me. People have showed me, but I have to get the timing down on adjustments for myself. I'm fine running 70 with no walk til I do.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    I recently purchased a new TRX 189 Triton bass boat with a Mercury 175 HP Pro XS 4 stroke motor. I have no problem driving it fast but when I slow down the bow rises too much. Any tips, suggestions as to how to improve this problem from you veteran bass boat pilots will be greatly appreciated. I have very little seat time in this new boat. Thank you
    As you slow, trim down and keep some throttle pressure.

BTW....there is no brake pedal next to the Hot Foot.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    As you slow, trim down and keep some throttle pressure.
    Thank you!

15. Member
    I will get to the chase. Do you like roller coasters? Do you like the thrills of highspeed wind in your face? Do you enjoy while being inches from the water?

If the answer is no then this boat is not for you.

Better yet take a test ride.

Driving - any body can safely learn very quickly how to drive a bass boat. My 5 foot 2 daughter who hates to drive cars has become one of the best bass boats drivers in a little over a year.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

16. Member
    Pulled the trigger today.

Bought a 2010 Bass Cat Pantera IV today. Got some seat time with the former owner. The boat is so, so sweet. I am really going to enjoy it.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    Pulled the trigger today.

Bought a 2010 Bass Cat Pantera IV today. Got some seat time with the former owner. The boat is so, so sweet. I am really going to enjoy it.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
    That’s Great! Congratulations!

18. Member
    Well said like2fish2!! Don't get too wrapped up in getting from point A to B in the shortest amount of time. You spend more time fishing than on plane anyhow. IMO...make the fish-ability and comfort a big priority 1st. Best of luck with you decision.

19. Member
    BUY A BOAT FOR THE VALUE OF THE BOAT DONT SHORT CHANGE YOURSELF IN SOMETHING YOU WANT BE HAPPY WITH WHEN YOU LEARN TO DRIVE THERE IS A LOT OF VALUE IN OLDER BOATS LIKE THE CHAMPIONS THAT ARE STABLE AND FISHABLE AS WELL UPGRADEABLE IN OTHER WORDS BUY THE BOAT YOU ALWAYS WANTED THE REST WILL COME BUT KNOW THAT AFTER THE 70 MPH MARK DRIVING A BOAT IS DIFFERANT NO MATTER THE BRAND

20. Member
    Seat time helps..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast