Inexpensive tires and what winch and guide adjustment on 88 Rangertrail

We don’t fish very much anymore, might go 150 miles round trip 2-3 times a year and otherwise trips might be 60-70 round trip. Might try to go back to Dale Hollow or Ky Lake one of these years, which might be 600 miles round trip. I am just wondering if there are any good tires other than Goodyear Endurance for our application that are quite a bit less expensive. Need 3 new batteries too so trying to decide what to get on tires and need 4 tires.

Also wondering what size and brand winch to go with for an 88 Ranger 393. Ours seems bent and it’s difficult to crank the boat off if it’s much out of the water.

lastly, is there a way to adjust the short side guides on a trailer to minimize the gap and help get the boat on more centered? Thanks

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If tandem, you might have some options, but get load range D tires on a single for certain. Check out http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post6208861 for some ideas.

Centering problems on a trailer are almost always caused by having the trailer too deep in the water. But bass boat trailers are designed for power loading, and your discussion of the winch makes me think you are loading manually. If so, start with the trailer shallow to force the boat into the center, then as winching gets hard ease the trailer back into the water. It’s almost impossible to load a boat off-center on a bunk trailer if it’s at the right depth because the boat isn’t floating when it gets to the bunks.

Two-speed winches can be a big help if you have to crank a boat up much. I put a
    Fulton F2 on my boat a few years ago and like it. Sometimes there are spacing issues where the boat gets in the way of a longer handle.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Thanks CatFan. I try to drive it on and crank the last few inches. Seems like one side of the pad almost always ends up on the bunk instead of falling in the gap, or too close to one side or the other. I will check out the tire thread and thanks for the winch info, how many lbs did you get on winch capacity? Trailer is a tandem by the way. Thanks again

Did you ever think there would be year when IU, UK and Duke didn’t make the tournament?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn View Post
    Thanks CatFan. I try to drive it on and crank the last few inches. Seems like one side of the pad almost always ends up on the bunk instead of falling in the gap, or too close to one side or the other. I will check out the tire thread and thanks for the winch info, how many lbs did you get on winch capacity? Trailer is a tandem by the way. Thanks again

Did you ever think there would be year when IU, UK and Duke didn’t make the tournament?
    I don’t remember which winch I got.

Odd year for basketball, for sure.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    I've ran Duro trailer tires for a couple of years. I think Goodyear now makes the Endurance in the 13" size I need so next pair will be those. The Duro were pretty inexpensive and have fared well on many trips, some as far as a couple thousand miles.

6. Member
    Thanks guys, I will check into the duros

7. Member
    Kenda Karrier Loadstars, Carlisle Radial HD, or Maxxis M8008 tires are decent cheaper tires
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    If you have room on the winch stand, get a Fulton F2 3200 lb, you won't regret it

9. Member
    Thanks guys I appreciate your feedback

10. Member
    Yep, the two speed Fulton is really, really good. Along with the trick step it makes my boat loading/unloading really easy compared to only having the standard single speed winch Ranger puts on.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    If you have room on the winch stand, get a Fulton F2 3200 lb, you won't regret it

11. Member
    Thanks guys the F2 sounds really good but don’t know if it will fit, will have to check. I started a post on the Ranger forum and sounds like it may be too tall. But will get a measurement and see. The factory winch is really hard to crank if it’s not on all the way by motor power. Thanks