Outdoor kitchen/shed/smokehouse ideas

I am looking to tap into the collective wisdom of the BBC again. I have had this dream for a few years of making an official outdoor kitchen area. My biggest gripe is that I live on a tiny lot and have two huge maple trees (Wife says they are staying) and they are constantly dropping something (pollen, buds, leaves etc). In the winter and today we get snow and I am always battling the wind off the lake, so having a wind break is important as well.

So I had this idea of building a shed that is unique with maybe a pullout like a camper or a side that flips up. I am looking for something you don't typically see but also something that is pretty simple in design, Basic idea is when I am using it I push a button to open it up and then close it up when finished. I have a pellet smoker, a griddle and a ooni pizza oven.

Any ideas that wont burn the house down would be appreciated

2. Member
    They make wind blocks that are motor driven. Rolls up and out of the way when not needed. Porchenclosers.com or something like that.

3. Member
    No idea how it would work, but I like the idea

4. Member
    Here is an idea to get the ball rolling as far as how certain features can fold and lap. As mentioned above automatic awnings could be an easy option for overhead cover/ shade in place of panel type designs. This is crude but hopefully it can inspire your ideas and progress. This is one of many ideas i had when reading your post, although I sketched this one because it’s simple to draw and easily modified to scale ...more or less storage/entertainment by simply moving the interior support posts to gain what is desired . ( the vertical dotted line)
    If I were building this for myself I would kick around the idea of a spring roller assist ( like a garage door, or a cable/or electric winch type set up for the main overhead cover. Sorry I can’t be more help on the iB5086A5C-199F-4160-A8B2-AA0D66774067.jpegmechanical end of things , I’m just a dumb carpenter

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    Here is an idea to get the ball rolling as far as how certain features can fold and lap. As mentioned above automatic awnings could be an easy option for overhead cover/ shade in place of panel type designs. This is crude but hopefully it can inspire your ideas and progress. This is one of many ideas i had when reading your post, although I sketched this one because it’s simple to draw and easily modified to scale ...more or less storage/entertainment by simply moving the interior support posts to gain what is desired . ( the vertical dotted line)
    If I were building this for myself I would kick around the idea of a spring roller assist ( like a garage door, or a cable/or electric winch type set up for the main overhead cover. Sorry I can’t be more help on the iB5086A5C-199F-4160-A8B2-AA0D66774067.jpegmechanical end of things , I’m just a dumb carpenter
    Thanks for the sketch, I was originally thinking something like this and may still go this route. Lately I have been fixated on a slide out where the short end of the shed slides out on rails (I was thinking of using something like a driveway gate rail and motor) but I am wondering how that would actually work and how I could support the floor without it sagging etc.

6. Member
    I was thinking of using something like this
    Slide-Gate-Trulley-Assembly.jpg
    Gate-Kit.jpg

I wonder if I could attach these from the ceiling with wheels under the flooring to support it from both directions.

The other off the wall thought was building the slide out on an old trailer frame with wheels and having a hydraulic ram pushing and pulling it in/out.

7. Member
    Two Things:

#1 Linear Slides. Whatever style you come up with build it using Linear Slides. Will last forever and be Strong. They are used for a Ton of things including Moving RV Slides in and out.

#2 Electric Actuation Motor Drive. Think a 12-volt Motor connected to a Screw Drive. You can buy them based on the Width of the Slide you want to move out, say 30-48". They run all the way out, then spin free or you can install Cut Off Switches for both In and Out Modes.

12-Volt Battery hooked up to a Tending Charger and your good to go.

Build your "tray" to hold every thing you want and figure out how heavy it will be when done, then buy the Slides that will hold that weight.

OR

You could simply build a Garage type Door for your opening and build the Cooking area on a Frame with Caster Wheels and just pull it out on a Concrete Slab and push it back in when done.

OR

Do whatever your Brain and Budget will allow.

8. Member
    Thanks Deadeye,

I am in-between using linear slides or an I-Beam trolley. If it is as easy to move as I am thinking I was hoping to use a garage door opener to push and pull but I will definitely look into the actuation motor.

I like challenging myself but am always looking for different ideas, sometimes you get so fixated on one thing you may miss the obvious

9. Member
    I went to a party one of my bosses gave a long time ago. He had a pool and a Tiki Bar. The Tiki Bar was fully enclosed, and had a small kitchen area, sink, fridge and a hot plate I would look for Tiki Bar plans and see if you caould adapt them to your needs.

10. Member
    If you have room for a stand alone cook shed, what if you build it with two roll doors on either end and a normal man door (is that a correct term anymore?) in the middle. Maybe even have an attached overhang for a porch / eating area? That way everything stays in place and can be ready a moments notice. There are several types fire proof mats to place under your pellet smoker. Heck, place tile over the plywood floor if the funds are available. Add a stereo, TV, black lighting with velvet psychedelic posters...a regular man cave.