Reel and techniques for Tequila Baccarac

Got a TB on a way. Didn't need it, but I wanted one, I found one, and I'm an addict lol... I wanted to have a shorter swimbait rod for a travel, a quick shore bang, and a smaller rod to bring on the small boat. I may buy a yak in the future so I figured it would easier with this rod rather than bringing multiple 8' rods on a yak.

Just curious what reel everyone is using with it. I'll probably slap a curado k on it first because I have a couple extras, but knowing me I'll buy something else for it at some point lol... Also interested to see if you guys are finding any great uses for it other than swimbaits.

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    For me the TB feels better with a reel in the 6.5-7.5 oz range. I thought it felt weird with the Steez SV TW (5.6 oz).

I'm going to use the TB primarily what what was said in The Hookup Tackle video - a-rig, deep crank, glide baits and bigger swimbaits. I'll pretty sure it'll be really nice for pitching tx rigged stuff into heavier cover too.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    I’ve got a Steez A on mine and it’s perfect. Had a Zillion HD on there before that and it worked just fine, but I definitely prefer the feel with the Steez.

I've had the P5 Tequila Baccarac since they were introduced and have used it for an incredibly wide array of applications. My first fish with it was on a Megabass Big Gabot frog, and I've since thrown everything from umbrella rigs and glide baits to mag cranks like the Big M 7.5/4.0/2.0, flipped big jigs/plastics in heavy cover and even done some punching with it, big wake baits, Bull Shads and loads of other swim baits, etc. It's a blast to fish and obviously extremely versatile.

I've used the old Daiwa Z200HL on mine quite a bit, but I also really like the Steez A on it too...

5. Member
    How does the Steel A handle big baits in the 2-3oz range? And issues over a period of time with big baits to be concerned with?

6. Member
    I slapped a Zillion HD on my TB for tossing swimbaits with 20lb line.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

7. Member
    Put a zebco on it.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

I’m using the Zillion HD as well, only other reel would be a Steez A. This rod does it all for big stuff.

9. Member
    I've got a Curado DC on mine and so far I am absolutely loving the rod. I have thrown a 3/4 oz football jig, a Texas rig with a 1 oz weight on it, a 3/4 oz LV500 lipless crank, an S-Waver 168, a Gantarel Jr, and a 1/2 oz buzzbait. It has handled every single one of those baits flawlessly. I still plan to throw oversized cranks on it as well but haven't gotten the chance to do that yet. It is without a doubt the most versatile rod I own.

10. Member
    I would think the Zillion HDs and similar are just about ideal on the TB. Seems like a very good match.

11. Member
    What is the length of the handle behind the reel?

Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    What is the length of the handle behind the reel?
    11 13/16" from butt to trim ring between the cork and rear of the reel seat.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    11 13/16" from butt to trim ring between the cork and rear of the reel seat.
    Thanks Gary. Now I wait for yall to get them in stock!