Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Opinion of a 10 years BBC Member

For what it's worth (not much as I know it's a free site and I can leave if I want). I've heard that more in the last 6 months than in my 10 years on this site which is getting old real old. It's NEVER been like that, which in my opinion is why the growth has happened. This will result in a vacation I'm sure, which is what it is. This is my opinion and if I can't say it (it's not politics) maybe I and others should just not come back. Granted, it's free for all of us because sponsors pay to advertise their products based upon the views Al gets on this page. That's why it's free.
    I love coming to this site discussing fishing, life, boats, everything except politics. There was the only rule. Period end of story. Now it's if Al doesn't like the topic, a moderator views it as something he doesn't like. That is censorship. To me it's no different than big tech censoring views. Hell, 2 weeks ago there was a thread closed then open as it didn't fit the views of some, so Al opened it back up.
    I want the BBC of old. I used to view 10-20 times a day. Now I find myself logging out weeks at a time, as the drama/views/locking of posts don't fit a narrative. I find it hard to believe I'm the only person that feels this way.
    Covid is real. The vaccine is supposed to work, but so many questions. I feel like we can't ask questions without the post being locked. As if I feel one way, it's something that fits under the "rule"
    Again, this is a perfect example. I didn't discuss the golden rule, but can take a vacation, will be given a vacation, or talked to. This is not what the site was about, nor should be about. If that's what it's about going forward.....I'm out.
    Al is making big money off our clicks. If 50% of folks logged off and didn't log in anymore, eventually the ad revenue would stop.
    What's FUNNY is I tried to respond under the Post "thanks AL" and it was locked before I could even finish......great times.

2. Member
    I agree with you. I have learned a lot on here in less than a year, but the politics is becoming too much. I was raised that you don't talk about religion or politics, and it amazes me that both here, and in public, so many people so willing to try and get into political debates. It doesn't change the mind of anyone, so what is the point?

I feel bad for people who post an honest topic on this board and it gets highjacked by someone making a political comment. If the OP didn't make it political, why does someone else feel the need?

Thanks for posting this. I think most people feel the same way.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    I agree with you. I have learned a lot on here in less than a year, but the politics is becoming too much. I was raised that you don't talk about religion or politics, and it amazes me that both here, and in public, so many people so willing to try and get into political debates. It doesn't change the mind of anyone, so what is the point?

I feel bad for people who post an honest topic on this board and it gets highjacked by someone making a political comment. If the OP didn't make it political, why does someone else feel the need?

Thanks for posting this. I think most people feel the same way.
    Some of the topics, like covid vaccines, don't get political, yet they still get locked due to people expressing opinions that don't align with the way certain others think.

4. Banned
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by wiget10 View Post
    For what it's worth (not much as I know it's a free site and I can leave if I want). I've heard that more in the last 6 months than in my 10 years on this site which is getting old real old. It's NEVER been like that, which in my opinion is why the growth has happened. This will result in a vacation I'm sure, which is what it is. This is my opinion and if I can't say it (it's not politics) maybe I and others should just not come back. Granted, it's free for all of us because sponsors pay to advertise their products based upon the views Al gets on this page. That's why it's free.
    I love coming to this site discussing fishing, life, boats, everything except politics. There was the only rule. Period end of story. Now it's if Al doesn't like the topic, a moderator views it as something he doesn't like. That is censorship. To me it's no different than big tech censoring views. Hell, 2 weeks ago there was a thread closed then open as it didn't fit the views of some, so Al opened it back up.
    I want the BBC of old. I used to view 10-20 times a day. Now I find myself logging out weeks at a time, as the drama/views/locking of posts don't fit a narrative. I find it hard to believe I'm the only person that feels this way.
    Covid is real. The vaccine is supposed to work, but so many questions. I feel like we can't ask questions without the post being locked. As if I feel one way, it's something that fits under the "rule"
    Again, this is a perfect example. I didn't discuss the golden rule, but can take a vacation, will be given a vacation, or talked to. This is not what the site was about, nor should be about. If that's what it's about going forward.....I'm out.
    Al is making big money off our clicks. If 50% of folks logged off and didn't log in anymore, eventually the ad revenue would stop.
    What's FUNNY is I tried to respond under the Post "thanks AL" and it was locked before I could even finish......great times.
    Ok, I'll first respond to the "Al is making big money off our clicks". We have had the exact same ad rates for over 14 years! I don't make any money at all from clicks as you call it.
    The only revenue from the BBC Boards is from the advertisers and as I've said, the rates have never been raised in 14 years.....what other company does that?

Probably 5 years ago and before we didn't really have problems with only having the one rule (which we still have), but in the last 5+ years there's obviously been many problems with some constantly trying to post political. We have over 100 forums on the BBC Boards and most of the forums don't even have a Moderator because there really isn't a need.
    We've had 5 Moderators in the Lounge for years but a couple basically very rarely will close a thread. More recently there have been 3 Mods plus myself but one of those three "moved on" as he put it because he doesn't see how I can put up with the problems in here. TNT stopped a week or so ago; again he doesn't see how I deal with it and he doesn't want to any longer.

The "Thanks Al" thread was locked because members can't even thank me without a couple posting about what Cowtrimmer said in the CNN thread yesterday.

I've had numerous offers to sell BBC for a LOT of money and have declined mainly because I knew that the buyers in at least two instances would change BBC drastically and I couldn't see that happen on something I built 21 years ago. If there's another offer I won't very likely decline it.

A relative few are spoiling the Lounge for the rest of you; I'm amazed that you can't see that.

Further on my comments; the only "fix" I have at the moment is to continue to ban those that are spoiling the Lounge for the rest; many will bitch about that but that's the only possible way I can fix this.

7. Member
    Al, with all do respect.......if you know the select few, please ban this for life and bring back the bbc of old.
    I have a rough number of what you're making a year, as I work with a few dealerships that pay you and I know that number. Therefore, anything you ban outside of politics is in fact censorship. I think most are "bitching" because you're banning/locking for things outside the golden rule.
    If we have rules to follow, please enforce them. Please don't add, make exceptions, changes as you want. If we have more rules, please let us know. I can't follow them if I don't know them.
    I'll even throw out 1 idea. It appears there is a HUGE need to talk about politics, and it keeps coming over into the other forums.
    Create a politics room, and if someone posts anything about it.....they get a 12 month ban. Accountability. It all goes away. 7 day, 30 day, etc doesn't seem to be working.

8. Member
    Enjoy your vacation

Al, with all do respect.......if you know the select few, please ban this for life and bring back the bbc of old.
    I have a rough number of what you're making a year, as I work with a few dealerships that pay you and I know that number. Therefore, anything you ban outside of politics is in fact censorship. I think most are "bitching" because you're banning/locking for things outside the golden rule.
    If we have rules to follow, please enforce them. Please don't add, make exceptions, changes as you want. If we have more rules, please let us know. I can't follow them if I don't know them.
    I'll even throw out 1 idea. It appears there is a HUGE need to talk about politics, and it keeps coming over into the other forums.
    Create a politics room, and if someone posts anything about it.....they get a 12 month ban. Accountability. It all goes away. 7 day, 30 day, etc doesn't seem to be working.
    There is only one rule, no politics.

But when some are posting say conspiracy theories about Covid and other topics should I just let those stand? BBC Boards have been here for a very long time and we get roughly 30 new members each and every day and have for years. If I let absolutely anything be posted as long as it isn't political the Lounge will go into the crapper very quickly. The other forums 100+ will be fine but not the Lounge.

As far as what I make per year, you really don't have a clue other than the fact that what I make per year has been exactly the same for 14+ years. And what I make has absolutely nothing to do with what you're calling censorship, other than the fact that if I allow absolutely anything to be posted on here some advertisers will eventually leave.

Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    Enjoy your vacation
    No....he won't get a vacation; he's simply stating his opinion. I obviously don't do well with the word censorship and I'm not censoring, I'm simply trying (7 days a week) to keep some semblance of order in the Lounge.

11. Member
    Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information...........this is the definition. Would you say you're not doing that? You don't have to like it or agree with it, but isn't that it?

Al, for the covid vaccine. Here are a few things that is happening

Pfizer - Was told 2 shots, now 3, and now each year they will need to get it. Do we really know what's needed? How about the deaths coming from the vaccine? When does it stop changing? IF we had such good handle on it, why is it changing?
    J&J - Just removed. What about those who already took this? Risks, can we tell them? NO
    Moderna - Who knows at this point, there are a lot less on this happening.

Conspiracy Theory - a belief that some covert but influential organization is responsible for a circumstance or event.

I'm no doctor. But as a concerned citizen when someone says don't ask questions, trust, I want to ask more and more questions. I'm 38 healthy and will take my chances with no vaccine. I work out, eat healthy, and know my body better than anyone else. . By no means do I think less of anyone else on this site or anything else who believes 1 way. We can agree to disagree. I'd love to have open discussions about said topics to get different perspectives. We used to be able to do that. USED

12. Banned
    Meanwhile this topic has 7 pages?
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....1120996&page=7

It seems to be a pick and choose. I dont start any of these topics anymore because I know Al doesn't like them and that's fine its his site.

Oh and why do we always have so many topics like " I got the vaccine" that just seems like a topic that will go sideways.

More issues have been introduced into this country in the last five years than the previous twenty. Not only does it create issues here but all through every aspect of our lives. I looked before I posted this and in the last year I’ve blocked over thirty friends on Facebook. I hope some day that we jettison all our arguments and go back to living and enjoying life like we use to.

14. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Are the applications for Lounge Moderator piling up on your desk

Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Further on my comments; the only "fix" I have at the moment is to continue to ban those that are spoiling the Lounge for the rest; many will bitch about that but that's the only possible way I can fix this.
    If the problem started around 5 years ago then that gives you a good starting point. I’ve been on here since 2008 and it was great back then. In the last few years, this place has been infiltrated by people who rarely post anything even remotely related to fishing or boating. They hang out in the lounge and create division. Lots of good members that were helpful and informative have either moved on or been kicked off while the trouble makers get free reign to post as they please. There’s a reason you’re losing moderators and some members rarely post anymore.

Thanks Al for a great site. I'm here every day.
    What I don't like is so many here want to be combative. It's probably a carry-over from they're everyday lives. They hide behind their fake names and avatars and express themselves in ways they wouldn't if it were in person.

Levi, I understand the definitions of censorship and conspiracy theory, you really don't need to explain them to me.

As I've said, a few are spoiling it for the rest of you. To be very honest, I'm tired of trying as far as the Lounge is concerned.

One company that wanted to buy BBC (they approached me twice) have over 1200 websites and are known for letting them go into the toilet.
    Another company (that also approached me twice) have on some of their sites a page and a half of the most absurd rules I've ever seen.
    I've said no to both of these companies. We'll see what the future holds.

Sounds like a bunch of people need to volunteer to make their own BBC with their own rules
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    More issues have been introduced into this country in the last five years than the previous twenty. Not only does it create issues here but all through every aspect of our lives. I looked before I posted this and in the last year I’ve blocked over thirty friends on Facebook. I hope some day that we jettison all our arguments and go back to living and enjoying life like we use to.
    I think your math is off. It started more than 5 years ago. Those are the 5 you choose to highlight.

20. Banned
    Seems like reasonable solution

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast