2014 250 ProXS issue 2B087950

Ok guys I am still having a problem. I will start from scratch. Towards the end of last year and the first time out this year I noticed random power loss at WOT. I got new plugs, plug wires and fuel filter. After the install I took the boat out and it runs fine at the beginning. After a couple hours and moving around I slowly start to lose power where it is really sluggish on the holeshot. It ends up getting so I weak I can't even get on plane. When I put the new plugs in I didn't check the gap. This past week I pulled the plugs and adjusted the. To the proper gap. Well I took it out this morning and the same thing happened. Ran great out of the first run or 2 then started getting sluggish. It starts and idles fine. Just loses power as the day goes on. Please help! I have a tournament on Sunday!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Jimmy- any warning horns occurring?

Pumping bulb firm before EVERY engine start?

Always need to start with the basics:

-Compression Test

-Spark Test (and inspect wires/plugs, etc)

-Fuel Quality, Delivery, and Air/Fuel Pressure Tests

-Belt and Tensioner Inspection (tensioner needs to hold 70 lbs/in before end of travel)

-BATTERY condition (load test and verify condition at mid-end day to make sure you're not discharging enough to cause problems)

-Livewells full, is anything dragging (such as powerpoles, etc)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you for your response. No warning horns, I don't think there is a primer bulb. Batteries are all brand new and my volt meter says 13-14. Not sure about the testing you mentioned. I do not understand why everything works perfect at the beginning and then it slowly goes downhill throughout the dat

4. Member
    So I am doing some spart plug tests. I happened to touch the spark plug wire while the motor was running and got shocked. Is this normal?

If they are connected you should not get shocked, ideally if disconnected from the plug no shock unless you touch it right where the boot meets the wire. Best test for leakage is a spray bottle with the motor running
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Agreed- in "theory" you should be able to touch the plug wires without incident. In reality, takes a pretty big pair to go back touching them more than once.

If you wait until dusk and try the spray-bottle method, you'll probably find the leaks pretty quickly.

There should be a primer bulb on this engine, and it should be pumped FIRM before every (single) engine start. Especially critical in temps 60F or above.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Question, I was looking at my old plug wires and 1 end of each of them has faded into a purplish color. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Lee View Post
    Question, I was looking at my old plug wires and 1 end of each of them has faded into a purplish color. Is this normal?
    Yes. test them with a ohmmeter for continuity and water mist for leakage
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also note that the boots are different colors right out of the bag. Intentionally (also a different boot with a support gusset on the spark plug end).

10. Member
    So I did some digging into my fuel tank
    Last edited by Jimmy Lee; 04-19-2021 at 07:05 PM.

11. Member
    So I am looking in my fuel tank and found what appears to be the cardboard/plastic seal that is in the underside of a cap from fuel treatment or stabil. What are the chances this getting sucked up against the screen at the bottom of the fuel pickup tube and creating a blockage of fuel? Thanks20210419_181926.jpg20210419_181926.jpg

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's certainly possible.