Ranger 374v prop for 150 Mariner Mag2

Buddy of mine recently revived his old 89' 394v and added a new Talon and battery charger to the back end. Running a Mariner 150 Mag 2 with the smaller hub and has a 24P 3 blade prop (not sure of the model but it came with the boat in 89). Now it is extremely sluggish out of the hole and usually takes the passenger to move forward to get it on plane especially with a full livewell, assuming it is due to the added weight. He does also have a 5 blade but no markings on it so not sure what pitch- the 3 blade is actually performing a tad better right now but still a struggle to even get on plane most trips.
    Very difficult up here to find places to "try" props so before he drops a bunch of cash on a new one trying to make the best educated guess. Guessing a drop to 22 would help, or should he drop farther down?
    What are guys typically running on 374v's with 150hp? He's not concerned about top end, just wants to be able to pop up quickly as he spends most of his time in shallow water.

2. Member
    Need more info. Try to find out what type of prop, ptp , rpms and does it have a jack plate

3. Member
    The 24p 3 blade is a laser I believe, and he does have a manual jack plate. He hasn't had it out yet this spring but says he remembers running around 5200

4. Member
    From what you say so far. To much prop. Or to low either way he needs to run it and get that info. Might want to think about going to a tempest or trophy if he needed a different prop as I suspect. The laser is old school.

5. Member
    Set the jackplate - look around here most rangers are around 2 3/4 - 3 1/4 below pad. Put on the high 5. They are not noted for top end but should result in immediate plane is what I heard from a friend with a similar rig.

6. Member
    Thanks, yes the laser is definitely old school- he got it with the rig in 89' when he was fishing a larger series up here at the time. Soon after he did get the high five just for that reason (popping up quick) and liked it so much he ran it ever since. Now however with the added weight of the charger and talon he's found the 3 blade laser to perform a little better, still struggles but he can eventually get up with an empty when in calmer conditions or when going with the waves.
    I'll mention the jack plate adjustment, he was wondering about that also (or raising/dropping a hole) just found it strange he had it set up and running great for all those years. I was thinking he might be over propped as well, just given the size and weight of his boat and that he is already under powered a bit with a 150 (max HP for that boat is a 175)

I'd test a 21P Trophy Plus and play with the PVS venting.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

8. Member
    If he hasn't done so already, I would start with fiber reeds in the motor. They really wake up the bottom end in the old 2.0 and 2.4 motors. Huge difference. Also, most Mag 2's came with a 1.78 gear, a few with 2.0 gears. I would start with a 22" trophy. A trophy and the older 4 blade turbo props ran well with that combination.

9. Member
    Thanks for the advice, I will share info both on props and the reeds. Is it correct that all odd numbered pitched props are for large hubs and even numbered are small hubs? or are there certain exceptions to that?

There are exceptions. Hi5, and laser propellers this is true. Trophy plus they are all the same size small barrel

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

11. Member
    Make sure you look before buying a used Trophy. They did make some large barrel Trophy's, but they were early ones. I've owned one and a bud has owned one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Make sure you look before buying a used Trophy. They did make some large barrel Trophy's, but they were early ones. I've owned one and a bud has owned one.
    But those were not trophy plus models. I have owned some as well

13. Member
    Ok, that helps, so are the trophy plus all small barrel? and would fit even in the 21?

Yes

15. Member
    Perfect, we'll see if we can find one here to try.

16. Member
    Follow up question, found a 23p trophy plus to try but it did not have a hub kit included, which one would I need?

17. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I'm running a OMC but have no jackplate on a 374V 150hp and run a custom 23 Raker by Mark with pvs holes and extra cup she comes out of the hole great and top end alone with my regular load is about 58mph at 5500 rpms you just have to dial it in my friend
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

18. Member
    I ran one of those old Mariners on an '87 Ranger 370V. The fiber reeds make a ton of difference. Also, those motors listed WOT at 5500 RPM but we ran them 6200-6300 for years and used a smaller pitch for hole shot and handling and extra RPM for speed.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    I ran one of those old Mariners on an '87 Ranger 370V. The fiber reeds make a ton of difference. Also, those motors listed WOT at 5500 RPM but we ran them 6200-6300 for years and used a smaller pitch for hole shot and handling and extra RPM for speed.
    True. And even in Mercury school they taught us to prop them for 6000 RPM minimum. 5500 is lugging those motors.