Thread: New reel.

New reel.

Going to get my first t wing Daiwa reel. I pitch more than I cast. Looking a the Steez A, Steez CT, Steez SV TW and the new Zillion. For people that have used them. Which one is better for pitching?

Are you planning any mods up front? What rod will you pair it with? What line? I have all of these reels, with the least amount of time on the water with new Zillion so far, but they are all capable, some may suit your needs better out of the box than others. The Steez A is designed more as a distance casting reel and is excellent in that regard, but it pitches nicely too. The Steez SV TW and Steez CT are both extremely light weight magnesium framed reels, both have stock 80mm handles however which isn't generally preferred for guys who pitch a lot, but that's easily remedied. CT is amazing for lighter to mid sized baits and has limited line capacity, though with pitching, you don't really need a ton of line. Steez SV TW is a great pitching/skipping reel too, compact, light, smooth, great reel. So far, the new 2021 Zillion SV TW is very, very impressive. It has the new hyperdrive gears and SV Boost technology that seems to give an edge to distance casting, but it's still manageable with skipping, I'm just not sure it's as good and or manageable as the SV equipped Steez variants listed here yet. I'll be spending a lot of time with mine now that I finally have one!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Are you planning any mods up front? What rod will you pair it with? What line? I have all of these reels, with the least amount of time on the water with new Zillion so far, but they are all capable, some may suit your needs better out of the box than others. The Steez A is designed more as a distance casting reel and is excellent in that regard, but it pitches nicely too. The Steez SV TW and Steez CT are both extremely light weight magnesium framed reels, both have stock 80mm handles however which isn't generally preferred for guys who pitch a lot, but that's easily remedied. CT is amazing for lighter to mid sized baits and has limited line capacity, though with pitching, you don't really need a ton of line. Steez SV TW is a great pitching/skipping reel too, compact, light, smooth, great reel. So far, the new 2021 Zillion SV TW is very, very impressive. It has the new hyperdrive gears and SV Boost technology that seems to give an edge to distance casting, but it's still manageable with skipping, I'm just not sure it's as good and or manageable as the SV equipped Steez variants listed here yet. I'll be spending a lot of time with mine now that I finally have one!
    Longer handle. I like a 90mm to 100mm handle. Will upgrade the bearings. Will start with the stock spool and go from there. I like to use 14lb shooter. Mainly will be pitching a 3/8 to 1/2 oz jig with trailer. Sometimes just a beaver with a 3/16 to a 1/2 oz weight. Have not decided on a rod yet. Been doing a lot of pitching lately with the P5 TS and like it alot. A little short but one hell of a rod. Leaning towards adding a second one. Still debating it.

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I haven't used the new ZIllion but I've used all the Steez models and my opinion is the Steez A with it's aluminum body and 90mm handle is the best suited of the Steez models if you're pitching in and around heavy cover. The Steez A does not come with an SV spool but one can be added if that matters to you. Most of my pitching up here is to docks, laydowns, rockpiles in more open'ish water and for that I use a Steez SV TW. It's such a sweet, sweet reel. The Steez CT is a little too small for me.

What rod are you going to put it on? I just got my P5 Tequila Baccarat and it didn't feel right with the 5.6 oz Steez SV TW but feels perfect with the 7.8 oz SV103 XS. I use a Steez SV TW with a 90 mm handle on a Daemos for the open'ish water pitching I do up here.

P.S. - The Steez SV TW is amazing with that P5 Bait Finesse.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Yeah, the Megabass P5's in general are amazing. Some more are finally coming in today at The Tackle Trap... If you went with the Tachyon Shaft or the Super Destroyer as examples, I'd probably go for the Steez SV TW and a 90mm handle, stock otherwise. You certainly could upgrade the bearings if you like, but for pitching those baits, the stock bearings in the SV TW are just fine. The Steez CT is hard to pass up though because it's so small, so light, and just amazing to fish. I have one on my P5 X-Bites and regularly fish 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs - pitching and casting. Since you'll be close quarters, even using some bigger FC, you'd be fine with the CT too, but again would need a 90mm handle.

I'd skip the Steez A myself. It has a deeper spool that is tuned for distance casting. Sure, it'll do it fine, but I'd take either of the other Steez models first, especially since it's potentially going on a P5!