2017 ProXS 175 Replaced impeller and added VesselView Mobile - now won't start

SN: 2B401702

Just ran the boat last weekend and didn't have any problems. It only has 93 hours on it but I decided to do the water pump and installed VesselView Mobile this week. I doubt VesselView has anything to do with it but that's the only time I touched the motor so I figured I'd mention it. I also made sure that the impeller was installed in the correct orientation. The outboard now cranks but won't start.

I'm very new to boats but I imagine it's the same as any other engine. Not sure what else I can check besides fuel and spark or why this even happened from just replacing the impeller. Maybe from sitting in the rain for the past couple days?

• It's in neutral and prop spins freely - fwd/rev lock the prop as usual
    • Kill switch is good
    • Battery above 12v
    • Fuel pump primes and primer bulb is stiff
    • Four fuses on the starboard side were good
    • Will test for ignition tomorrow

Any other ideas?

Note that this is the first time I've put earmuffs on it and tried starting it on land. That's probably irrelevant though.
    Last edited by viet; 04-16-2021 at 02:05 AM.

2. Member
    terminator reinstalled
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    terminator reinstalled
    Yes, I reinstalled the yellow terminator. I also tried removing VesselView and it didn’t make a difference.

Following
    2018 Nitro Z18
    175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Charge the battery again (fully) and verify clean, properly stacked and tight terminal connections. If voltage drops too much when starter is spinning, the MPR (Main Power Relay) will open, resulting in no fuel and no spark (even though the starter is spinning).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Solved the issue and it turned out to be really stupid but I’ll post here in case it happens to anyone else.

The wire from the blue connector in front of the motor got pinched when I put the cowling back on causing it to disconnect. I installed the VesselView in the dark so I didn’t notice it. I think this might be the fuel pump power wire? But I could've sworn I heard it priming..

Feel free to close the thread if needed. Thanks for the responses anyway!

Untitled.png

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by viet View Post
    Solved the issue and it turned out to be really stupid but I’ll post here in case it happens to anyone else.

The wire from the blue connector in front of the motor got pinched when I put the cowling back on causing it to disconnect. I installed the VesselView in the dark so I didn’t notice it. I think this might be the fuel pump power wire? But I could've sworn I heard it priming..

Feel free to close the thread if needed. Thanks for the responses anyway!

Untitled.png
    I have done this on two different Optis. Both times it was from replacing the cowling. I am surprised it doesn't happen more often. I now know, when you don't hear that pump sound, check that connection.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    I have done this on two different Optis. Both times it was from replacing the cowling. I am surprised it doesn't happen more often. I now know, when you don't hear that pump sound, check that connection.
    I personally felt it was a stupid design to have all that slack sticking out near the cowling but decided to keep my feelings to myself. :)

Glad I'm not the only one!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That particular branch can be troublesome. Have to watch items pretty closely on the 2.5L models to make sure they don't get pinched, or pulled.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor