Lowrance HDS Live Not Recognizing Yamaha Gateway

I bought a new boat and traced wiring from my Yamaha SHO VMAX 250LA to a Yamaha Gateway under the console (pic attached). It appears to be connected to the NMEA network. However, my Lowrance HDS Live does not recognize it. There is no Yamaha icon on the home screen. I do not see anything under network data sources related to it. I do not see anything that looks like it in the device list, and I do not see anything related to it under Advanced Features to turn on. Is there something I am missing? I am brand new to this forum, BTW, and I appreciate any help. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    need to check the Datum source in network settings
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

3. Member
    Key in the on position? Motor ECU has to be powered up before it will show up as a data source. Should be under 'engine'.

4. Member
    Yes, the key was on. It is a keypad but i had it sequenced to the point that the next push would crank the engine. I will look for datum source...

5. Member
    So, Datum has to do with GPS coordinates. As previously stated, there is nothing related to the engine under "Data" sources or advanced features. The Lowrance does not seem to recognize the engine is connected to NMEA at all.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pond Hop R View Post
    So, Datum has to do with GPS coordinates. As previously stated, there is nothing related to the engine under "Data" sources or advanced features. The Lowrance does not seem to recognize the engine is connected to NMEA at all.
    Was trying to go off memory, sorry about that. Follow these steps below and you should be good to go.

Settings-network-data sources-engine- Select any engine parameter - turn key on and watch to see ecu is recognized - select ecu and look for pop up window that asks if you want all parameters to come from this data source - select yes
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

7. Member
    Thank you for trying to help ClarkBird. I appreciate any help i can get. However, my problem is that my data sources screen does not show any options related to my engine. With my engine in the "on" mode, i have the following options on my Data Sources screen:

GPS, Vessel, Sonar, Time, Unconfigured, Digital Switching, Pilot

I have checked all of those and nothing is related to the engine.

That appears to be an interface to the command link gauges and not a nmea2000 connection. it would have to be connected to the same nmea2000 network as your HDS to be recognized.
    trace from your HDS nema wiring to see if the Yamaha is plugged into it anywhere.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

9. Member
    For grins, remove the gateway altogether, connect the NMEA to your backbone and see if the Live will recognize the engine that way. I'd also check the connection at the motor to make sure you're good there. If engine data comes up there's a problem with the gateway or, maybe it's not getting power. I don't use the gateway personally, I connect straight in and build my own dash with the engine parameters of my choosing. Same data, just doesn't look like the Yamaha dash.

IMG_5376.jpegIMG_5377.jpeg
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

10. Member
    ClarkBird, thanks again! Your last recommendation appears to be working. I followed the wire plugged into the gateway to where the wire from the engine plugged into it. I unplugged it and plugged the wire from the engine into a Lowrance/Yamaha interface cable. i also unplugged the NMEA network cable from the gateway and used the T-connector that came with the Lowrance/Yamaha interface cable to connect the Lowrance/Yamaha interface cable to the NMEA network cable that I unplugged from the gateway. I put the engine in "on mode and there was an engine option in my network data sources. I used the instrument screen to customize some gauges to show engine hours and a few other things. I have no idea why the gateway wasn't working. I don't see how it would get power unless the power came from the NMEA cable and there appears to be no problem with that cable as it is working with interface cable. Anyway, i have the main info I wanted which was engine hours. I'm not sure I want to spend the $300+ to get a new gateway to see if the one I have is bad.