Boat cover during trailering

What is the best way to support the boat cover during long trips. I have seemed to have tried everything and soon the cover sags and catches a lot of wind no matter how tight I initially get it. The boat is a 2006 single console nitro with an aurora travel cover. Thanks in advance.

I had my cover made at a local shop. The guy that made it put a sock like in the front 3rd of the cover and it has a pole ( like a broom stick ) in it that supports it works great. If I tow with out it will sag in front of the consoles ( Dual Console )
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by repdept View Post
    I had my cover made at a local shop. The guy that made it put a sock like in the front 3rd of the cover and it has a pole ( like a broom stick ) in it that supports it works great. If I tow with out it will sag in front of the consoles ( Dual Console )
    Thanks for the advice. I may try something like that. Was hoping to hear from others if others also have this same problem or it is just how my aurora cover was made. Thanks again.

4. Member
    Put a beachball under it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew from Maryland View Post
    Put a beachball under it.
    For as silly as that sounds, that may work.

6. Member
    I use 2 large exercise balls positioned so one is in front of each console.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    I use 2 large exercise balls positioned so one is in front of each console.
    I did that and will be trailering about 14 hours tomorrow and it seems like that will do it.
    Thanks

Would something like this work? You can set the height to make the cover tight and it easy to install and transport.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    Go to a local tarp tailor and have poles installed to hold the tarp up. They make some very study ones now. Mine never move or shrink.

10. Member
    Was your Aurora cover made to be installed with the seats in place, or was it designed to be a "flat" cover? I had my last Aurora cover made for my dual console Ranger to be installed with the seats remaining in place (I did this because it makes it easier to get stuff out of the lockers when it is raining as is often the case here in the Pacific NW).

If I were to remove my seats, and put the cover on, it would sag like you are describing.
    ciao,
    Marc

11. Member
    PVC frame.....easy to make.....exercise ball sounds good as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    PVC frame.....easy to make.....exercise ball sounds good as well....
    Make sure the PVC runs aren't too long as the pipe will begin to sag. The only issues with the exercise balls is they lose air, and they trap moisture where they sit against the carpet.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    Make sure the PVC runs aren't too long as the pipe will begin to sag. The only issues with the exercise balls is they lose air, and they trap moisture where they sit against the carpet.
    Makes total sense about the exercise balls. I use them when teaching and you're correct that they tend to lose air over time. Here's mine when stationary and it works....so far at least. I simply leave my butt seats in and a small expandable pole that's designed for this use. I have a smaller 17' tracker that I built a pvc frame that worked perfectly. Anyway, I've only had the cover that's in the pic for a few months and so far so good. This set up has survived SERIOUS thunderstorms unscathed, somewhat surprisingly to me.

.0309211834~3.jpg

One other thing, SUPPOSEDLY if I remove the seats and lower the profile this cover will fit my boat well enough to travel with it on at Hwy speeds without causing any damage. I've not tried this as of yet. I have pulled it around town exactly as pictured without any issues.
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 07-21-2021 at 03:00 PM.