Trolling Motor Wiring Question

Hey guys, Im working on my Uncles bass boat installing a Garmin Force trolling motor. The boat is a 2002 Pro Craft. The question I have is on the boat TM wiring. There are 2 Positive wires and 2 negative wires connected to the plug in front and in the back each on of the positive wires are on 2 separate fuses then go to the battery. Why is there 2 wires of each ? Just a bit confused why its this way. Thanks for any help.
    2003 Lowe Stinger 170W - 2002 Mercury 75 HP ELPTO - Garmin Echomap 73sv - Lowrance Hook 2 - Minn kota Ultrex 80lb

2. Member
    Probably was set up originally as a 12/24v system. The trolling motor was able to switch between 12v and 24v.

12 24v wiring.jpeg

If it were me, I would remove old wiring; replace it with 1 set of 6awg wire, and get a new plug or hardwire. My boat was previously wired the same as yours and used 2 sets of 10awg wire.
    Last edited by dmackaravitz; 04-15-2021 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply ! So should I still just put both wires of each together at the batteries or should I disconnect one of each ? Or run it the way the picture you posted shows ?
    2003 Lowe Stinger 170W - 2002 Mercury 75 HP ELPTO - Garmin Echomap 73sv - Lowrance Hook 2 - Minn kota Ultrex 80lb

4. Member
    If the the wires are 6 gauge I would use one of each. If they are 10 gauge I would put 2 together ( hopefully same color) for positive and 2 together for negative.

5. Member
    If you use both, ensure each wire is fused separately and each fuse is sized appropriately for wire size.
    D-Dubya

2003 Skeeter ZX225
    Yamaha VZ225HPDI
    Humminbird 898c SI
    Hummingbird 858c DI

Don't use all 4 wires. Use only the Red and Black wires. Tape of the ends of the Orange and White wires and move to the side. Install the RED lead to the Pos side of Battery 1, then a "Jumper" wire from NEG of Battery 1 to the POS of Battery 2 and the BLACK lead to the NEG of Battery 2. On the Plug at the Bow, do the same with the Orange and White wires, and use the Red (Pos) and the Black (Neg) and wire the TM accordingly. Where the Breaker is in the Red wire by the Battery, remove it and wire in a 60Amp Switchable Breaker. Be sure to turn off the breaker when charging the batteries.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Don't use all 4 wires. Use only the Red and Black wires. Tape of the ends of the Orange and White wires and move to the side. Install the RED lead to the Pos side of Battery 1, then a "Jumper" wire from NEG of Battery 1 to the POS of Battery 2 and the BLACK lead to the NEG of Battery 2. On the Plug at the Bow, do the same with the Orange and White wires, and use the Red (Pos) and the Black (Neg) and wire the TM accordingly. Where the Breaker is in the Red wire by the Battery, remove it and wire in a 60Amp Switchable Breaker. Be sure to turn off the breaker when charging the batteries.
    Just making sure..........your suggesting this if 6 gauge wire and not 10 gauge wire correct? If 10 gauge then pull new 6 gauge?

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Just making sure..........your suggesting this if 6 gauge wire and not 10 gauge wire correct? If 10 gauge then pull new 6 gauge?
    Yes, but pretty sure you already have 6 ga wire.
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

9. Member
    Not to hijack this thread, but I'm more than a little slow. Why do you need to turn off the breaker when charging the batteries? Doesn't that interrupt your charge path?

Quote Originally Posted by davet63 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but I'm more than a little slow. Why do you need to turn off the breaker when charging the batteries? Doesn't that interrupt your charge path?
    No, your charger doesn't charge the Trolling Motor, it charges the Batteries that are CONNECTED to the troller.

Turnung off the breaker protects the Trolling Motor from a sudden surge thru the charger caused by many ways. Lightning, Power surge etc. You should do the same for the starter battery too.
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

11. Member
    No, your charger doesn't charge the Trolling Motor, it charges the Batteries that are CONNECTED to the troller.

Turnung off the breaker protects the Trolling Motor from a sudden surge thru the charger caused by many ways. Lightning, Power surge etc. You should do the same for the starter battery too.
    OK, I got it. For some reason I was picturing the breaker between the battery and the charger, not the battery and the TM.

Thanks!