Rebuild: Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth 6'9" ML

I have a Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth rod (circa 2014) that has a broken reel seat (cork crack/separated and just loosely spins and cannot hold a reel in place). It also has the ceramic insert gone from the largest guide. If I took this to a rod builder to have the reel seat redone with another seat and had the guide replaced, approximately how much would that cost? Also would this option work: I had a St. Croix Legend Xtreme that broke in the mail but I took ever guide off of the reel (Titanium framed SiC) and still have the section of the rod that the intact reel seat is on. Could a builder strip that St. Croix black reel seat off with the tacky grip and put it on the Fenwick rod? Then use the guides that I have from it as well and replace the guides on the Fenwick? Since no parts would be needed, what would a typical labor charge be for this? Sorry for so many questions but I know nothing about this and really want to use the Fenwick rod as they are really nice. Thanks and best wishes on the water!

2. Member
    I usually charge around $50-70 for a new seat and grips depending on what you wanted doing it from the butt end and another $10-15 for the guide. Doing it from the butt end isn't the best way because you have to use tape for arbors but it'd work fine.

The best way would be to strip all the guides, replace the seat and grip from the tip and then rewrap all of the guides. This way you can use hard foam arbors and get a better fit on both the seat and the grips. Since you have the SiC's I'd just use those. So you'd still be at $50-$70 plus $10/guide to wrap what you got. 8 guides and it'd be $130-$150.

I doubt anyone would be able to get off the Legend Xtreme seat and grip in one piece to re-use. I'm actually pretty cheap so these numbers are probably the bottom end of what you'd end up with.

3. Member
    Willwork4fish has it down. His price is right on.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I usually charge around $50-70 for a new seat and grips depending on what you wanted doing it from the butt end and another $10-15 for the guide. Doing it from the butt end isn't the best way because you have to use tape for arbors but it'd work fine.

The best way would be to strip all the guides, replace the seat and grip from the tip and then rewrap all of the guides. This way you can use hard foam arbors and get a better fit on both the seat and the grips. Since you have the SiC's I'd just use those. So you'd still be at $50-$70 plus $10/guide to wrap what you got. 8 guides and it'd be $130-$150.

I doubt anyone would be able to get off the Legend Xtreme seat and grip in one piece to re-use. I'm actually pretty cheap so these numbers are probably the bottom end of what you'd end up with.
    What options do you have for reel seats? I am interested and thank you!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    I've got some Fuji DPSMs, VSSMs, Alps Rapid, and I think some Get Bit Ergos which are like American Tackle Aeros. I'd have to see what my grip options in the shop are for the VSSMs I think I have both EVA and cork.

You've got to keep in mind that you'd be in it for another $20 minimum shipping each way. I don't mind doing it but if you've got a builder near you you'd save that. Scott (shfshnsticks) is in PA if you wanted to reach out to him otherwise shoot me a PM with your number and we can figure something out. I'd be willing to take a shot at getting off the Legend grip. I might be able to get off the seat itself but I doubt the grip would be salvageable.

There's also a chance that the reel seat as the rod sits now could be repaired but I'd have to have it in my hands to see.

6. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    Where in PA are you located? I may be able to help