07 Yamaha 225 HPDI ECU swap

Have a 07 225 HPDI. Had the idea to swap the injector drivers and the computer out with 250 HPDI stuff. I’ve heard it can be done BUT I back boat in and turn the key the motor starts and has a miss. I checked all the injectors are plugged in and all my plug wires are plugged in. What could be the problem? Do I have to
    do anything special or did I get screwed buying this 250
    setup?? Thanks!!!

2. Member
    I'd have to imagine you missed something..
    04 Triton TR21X, 23 SHO NIZPRO'd!!!
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs
    95 BassCat Pantera II, 200 XRi Merc

97 Skeeter ZX185c
    97 ProV150--KOTTMANIZED! 27M

3. Member
    What part numbers for the 250 drivers and ECU?

In 2005 the ECU and the wire harness were changed. A 2004 and earlier ECU on a 2005 and later model motor (yours being 2007) will not play nice together.
    Last edited by yam911; 04-20-2021 at 11:11 AM.

4. Member
    I actually just went thru this process after I blew the powerhead on my ‘07 VZ225HTLR. My mechanic had another blown 250 laying around his shop. The injector drivers are the same between the 225 and 250, but the ECU is different. Apparently the powerheads are also slightly different, but literally everything else is the exact same. In theory if you swap the 225 ECU with one for a 250 it would work, but it likely wouldn’t be tuned exactly right. I’ve probably put about 20-25 hours on my new 250 powerhead and have had no issues yet (knock on wood)! Keep in mind tho that the reman powerhead I ordered was a 250. All bolt patterns and everything was exactly the same. Considering how high performance an outboard operates I wouldn’t personally take the risk of swapping only the ECU just for the hell of it. However if you find yourself in a situation like me where you have to replace the powerhead anyway it worked just fine. Definitely noticed an increase in midrange acceleration and gained probably 7mph on top end. Good luck!

5. Member
    Update: figured out the ECU I bought was off an 04. Looking for one off an 05 or newer now. Any ideas where I can find one?

6. Member
    HeyBud I was reading your post and I just posted about my 04HPDI 250 having a weird drawl electrically through the circuit of the driver modules and relay. I might be interested in that 04 Ecm you have...

7. Member
    Update found the correct ECU and ran the boat last night. I did not pick up any mph or difference between the 225 and 250 swap. Do I need to adjust anything?

8. Member
    You might call Hydrotec and ask them. They'll be able to tell you for sure what you need to make it work.