Black exhaust soot on prop?

Here is a picture of my 2017 150 Pro SX lower unit. Is this amount of black soot on the prop normal? I’m running a 21 Trophy, spinning it 5600 at WOT, 54 mph on a RT 198P. 62 hours on the motor. Serial# 2B230027, Family GM9XM02.52C3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kacordy; 04-15-2021 at 07:47 PM.

2. Member
    do a lot of ideling ??? what aditives ya running ???? looks lil heavy but yes you will notice some
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Which 150 ProXS, Optimax or 4-stroke? Please include serial number as well (required when posting).

If Optimax, post here - Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance

If 4-stroke, post here - Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Which 150 ProXS, Optimax or 4-stroke? Please include serial number as well (required when posting).

If Optimax, post here - Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance

If 4-stroke, post here - Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    I apologize, I will get the serial number tonight. This is the 150 2 stroke Optimax. I do run the Quickleen and I will verify the other ethanol stabilizer I use. Im running good ole California 87 pump gas with ethanol. I’m only idling it out of the marinas 5mph zones. Normal driving from one fishing location to another. I do run it WOT all the time at 5600. Most of my runs are 20-30 minutes to my first fishing spots. Thank you for the help and feedback, Allen

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you're running Optimax/DFI Oil (the recommended oil) and the Quickare/Quickleen cocktail, your prop really should not look like that.

Check and make sure you don't have a 1/4" gap all the way around that prop (ie: Prop barrel smaller than gearcase bore).

Moving your thread to the 2.5L Forum for you. Be sure to update Post#1 with the serial number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I updated post #1 with serial number and engine family.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Double check your serial number... as it's not matching a 150.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Double check your serial number... as it's not matching a 150.
    I will check, I questioned myself also. I think the first two 2’s are actually Z’s. I will take a closer look and verify. Thanks, Allen

9. Member
    Serial number will be formatted digit, letter, 6 digits...

Prop barrel definitely looks smaller than bore diameter allowing exhaust to flow outside the prop vs inside.

Another thing, the Optimax runs cleanest between 3400 and 4800rpm.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Scraps
    Would also check your plugs.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD