Question Livewell Pumpout without Aerator

Hey All,

First time Ranger owner here! I built a Z519 this year with the livewell pumpout option but didn't have an aerator installed. I've spent some time on the water trying to get the pumpout working and I'm not having much luck. I'm able to fill and empty the livewell using the valve by the console once I'm out of the water, but can't seem to activate the pumpout. I have the the aerator valve pulled out but I'm beginning to wonder if I've shot myself in the foot - is an aerator needed to use the pumpout?

TIA!
    Steve
    Last edited by sstallion; 04-17-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Once you pull out the nozzle in the livewell, turn on the livewell pump using the livewell switch on the dash. It sounded like you were using the lever next to the seat?
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

3. Member
    I didn't know that you could delete the aerator pumps from build; that said the aerator pumps are what supply water for the pump out.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

There's should be an aerator that is standard and an oxygenator that is an option, they are not the same thing. There should be one or two livewell pump switches on the dash in addition to the livewell control valve next to the driver's seat. It wasn't clear from the post if you were using the switches to pump water into the livewell or were using the control valve to allow water into the livewell. Those are two different things.

5. Member
    Sorry about that - I have two livewell switches on the dash - one to fill, and a recirculation timer. I've tried using them while the pumpout valve was pulled out, but it only seems to fill the livewell. I've also noticed that when the pumpout value is pushed in, no water flows into the livewell when the recirculation timer goes off, which was making me think about a missing aerator pump.

Capture.PNG
    Last edited by sstallion; 04-17-2021 at 08:49 AM.

My guess is that your starboard side aerator pump is not working. That is the one that fills the livewell on the starboard (drivers) side and powers the pump out. Who knows, maybe neither one is working.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

I think if you press the button and water is pumped into the livewell then the aerator is there and working. Maybe your pumpout valve is not working properly?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    My guess is that your starboard side aerator pump is not working. That is the one that fills the livewell on the starboard (drivers) side and powers the pump out. Who knows, maybe neither one is working.
    I'll double check fuses and the pumps once I head out again. So far, I've only been able to fill using the port side valve. Thanks all!