stripper guide placement

On a casting rod set up when its suggested the stripper guide be placed between 19 and 22 inches or so from the reel seat ,,, would that be from the back, middle or front of the seat ? and what constitutes those numbers ...
    thank you all ... Mychael

2. Member
    I place mine from the face of the reel.

3. Member
    I try to make sure mine are 16-19" from the front of the reel.

4. Member
    That measurement is a good starting point. After I static test the guide placement I will test cast the rod with the lure weight it is being built for. When I make a cast I will look for any line slapping the rod. I will move the stripper guide as fare as I can from the reel until I have line slapping them move it back a little and do another static test. Then cast it again till I get it right.

5. Member
    whats the farthest you would move the stripper guide out, i have seen the 16" to 19" called out I have also watched a Video where someone said 20" to 25" on longer rods?

6. Member
    Length of the rod is irrelevant on all rods. During investigation of microguides many years ago a guide on top rod I built using all 3.5 mm guides casted very well with a first guide from the reel set out to 30 inches. I was experimenting with stress distribution guide requirements, I included all guides in the test, all guides were set by when the line touched the blank, it took 30 inches for the first guide from the reel to touch the blank, 5 1/4 inches for the tip the first guide touch. 13-14 years and still going, it is a MH Rogue blank, got to admit, the sucker is light and only used 9 guides.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harrys View Post
    whats the farthest you would move the stripper guide out, i have seen the 16" to 19" called out I have also watched a Video where someone said 20" to 25" on longer rods?
    For me 16-19 is more personal preference probably. I've got extendable flippin sticks where it's probably a good bit over 20". I've used those rods for frogs also and they cast just fine. I don't know if I'd go to 30 like Spoonplugger said, not saying it doesn't work I just think it'd look a little funny. On a baitcaster you'll get a little up and down "wavy" action from the reel to the stripper but I don't think it's enough even if it's hitting the blank a bit to make a noticeable difference in casting.

8. Member
    As I said earlier, I measure from the face of the reel. I pretty much just use Fuji guides, and on casting rods I use either a KW10 or an LN10 as the butt guide. Both are nearly identical in height. I base the distance from the reel face to the guide's ring on the angle of the line from the reel to the butt guide. For the reels I use, 21 1/2" from the face of the reel to the guide ring gives me the angle that seems to work the best. I say that not really having done a lot of experimenting in casting performance with different distances. It's pretty much a visual thing for me.

I've tried using a KW8 as a butt guide, and to keep the line at the angle I prefer, I had to push the butt guide out to 24 1/4" from the reel face. That's a little further than I prefer. Mostly because when I set up the rod to static load it, the line touched the blank between the reel seat and the butt guide. I don't like that, so I went back to the KW10 as the butt guide.

Thus far I have built all my casting rods conventionally wrapped, using the "old school" three different sized double foot guides as a reduction train and then runners the rest of the way out. I am certain I will never change from that set up. It works well, and to me, it just looks right.