Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Strap

Is the strap that goes around the ghost base and shaft really necessary? It seems like it would just be really annoying to take on and off all the time and am also wondering if the stainless loop ends up banging into the side of your boat. I was considering leaving it off on the installation but was wondering if anyone had any feedback about it, or if leaving it off would be a bad idea. Thanks.
    Last edited by tim_kovar; 04-15-2021 at 07:29 AM.

2. Member
    I installed my motor in February and left the strap off. I see no reason for it but the manual is pretty adamant about having it... I do have it in the glove box if it needs to be installed.

3. Member
    I just installed my ghost and I added it. I had a Maxxum for about 14 years with the same strap and never had a problem with it. It is peace of mind. I use it if in rough water or when trailering.

4. Member
    I added the strap when I installed my Ghost. As stated, I think it's for peace of mind when you're running rough water. I had a Fortrex before that did not have the strap and I didn't have any issues, but I don't run rough water much at all. I do like it for trailering though since a few of the roads I drive on can be really bumpy.

5. Member
    I use it when running rough water and trailering. I broke the latch bar once fishing with my Fortrex so it definitely wouldn't have stayed put running or trailering
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

6. Member
    To prevent the stainless steel buckle from banging on your boat, position it close to the mount.

You should definitely install it for the time you will need it. On most days you will not need to use it, so it won't be a hassle. But when you get in rough water you will be glad you have it. I fished a tournament last weekend with a friend in his new bassboat. He has a new Ultrex on his boat, and we had gale force winds. He didn't strap down his Ultrex, and when we arrived at our first stop he trolling motor bracket was in multiple pieces on his deck. A boat takes a lot of shock when the bow slams against big waves, and without your electric motor being immobilized by at least the velcro strap, bad things can happen.
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Member
    My Fortrex came with 2 small screws to hold the strap to the bracket. I didn't like just having the strap hanging there on My Ghost so I removed the 2 screws from Fortrex and used them to secure the strap to my bracket on my Ghost. Works great and is very easy to deal with.

8. Member
    As someone that has had one come unlatched in rough water running 60.... yes keep the strap for rough water days. It does happen, I don't care who makes the trolling motor...