Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium Batteries VS Lead

What would be the best for a 36V trolling system? Pros and Cons!!!

Mich007

2. Member
    Personally would say Lithium. Lighter, longer run time, much longer life and some even have 10 year warranties, they hold their voltage really low in the discharge so you can use them down to like 10%. But they are expensive.

There are a ton of threads on Lithums on here, I would check out a few of those threads to get a good idea. There is a huge thread on Ionic Lithiums that is like 100 pages or something like that.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=982657

Thread on AGM vs Lithium

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....light=lithiums
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

3. Member

Charger

Do you have to convert your charger for lithium batteries?

Mich007

depends on if your current charger supports lithium batteries or not
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I dont remember seeing a charger that will charge a 36v Li battery. Is there one out there???
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I dont remember seeing a charger that will charge a 36v Li battery. Is there one out there???
    Powerpole Charge will
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

7. Member
    Not sure and probally not what most want. But i bet Lester makes one. I use one on my 24 volt lead acid wet cells. I kno they make one for a agm. Mine is manual charger. These chargers are Highly recommended by Basscat boats or at least at one time
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

8. Member
    Dual Pro chargers can be programmed for lithium.

9. Member
    No but if you have a Dual Pro they can reprogram the banks with the lithium profile if you go with separate batteries. Last boat I had 2 X 100 amp Battleborns and my current boat I have 3 X 50 amp Ionics. I've never been able to kill them on either boat in a day.

Lithiums are better in every way except cost and what happens if one craps out when you need it. Lighter, charge faster, full power until they are dead (and then nothing but again I haven't been able to get there).

They're not "game changers" but if you can rationalize the cost they definitely have advantages over lead.

10. Member
    what happens if one craps out when you need it?

Assuming you are not running a single 36v battery.

Two options, if your are running a 24/36 volt TM with 3 lithium’s, you could simply switch over to 24v and run on the good batteries.
    If that’s not an option, you can easily find a Walmart, purchase a lead cell and run it in series with the good lithium. You can run AGM and lead acid in series with lithium batteries. Meanwhile you can start your warranty process with whomever you bought your batteries from.

I run 3 ionic batteries in my boat. I would never consider a lead acid battery again. There is simply no comparison between the two.
    Running 2 50ah Ionics on a 70lb maxum, I have yet to go below 47 percent. That was after an 8 1/2 hour tournament.

11. Member
    I just went through this and opted to go with group 31 AMG. I really wanted to go with the lithium's (Ionics) due to the performance, weight, fast charge, etc. What steered me away was the fact that the big players (NAPA, Battery's Plus, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, etc. still have not gotten on board with marine lithium's. So I re-upped with the old tried and true figuring that in 3-5 years the landscape will have settled out the winners and looser.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkVarble View Post
    I just went through this and opted to go with group 31 AMG. I really wanted to go with the lithium's (Ionics) due to the performance, weight, fast charge, etc. What steered me away was the fact that the big players (NAPA, Battery's Plus, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, etc. still have not gotten on board with marine lithium's. So I re-upped with the old tried and true figuring that in 3-5 years the landscape will have settled out the winners and looser.
    The cost is what held me out but I do think that when it is time for new batteries I will go with lithium's. One thing I am wondering about is with all the new technology coming out on charts/graphs/finders how big of battery should you really consider running for them.

13. Member
    I thought the MK 460 PC would (?)

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Sorry guys for the misinformation in my post.

When i was reading the OP's post, i was thinking of single 36v Lithium battery and my brain was stuck on that, which is the reason i said there was no single 36v charger that would charge a single 36v battery.

I apologize for the confusion.

With that said, yes as long as there are 3 batteries in that 36v series, any battery that can charge lithium batteries will work.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Sorry guys for the misinformation in my post.

When i was reading the OP's post, i was thinking of single 36v Lithium battery and my brain was stuck on that, which is the reason i said there was no single 36v charger that would charge a single 36v battery.

I apologize for the confusion.

With that said, yes as long as there are 3 batteries in that 36v series, any battery that can charge lithium batteries will work.
    I got a single 36volt 18 amp charger with my purchase of 3-12 volt Dakota Lithium batteries. It’s not “marine grade “ however. I chucked my built in charger and use external chargers now. I have no reason to have it built in.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

16. Member
    I personally dont see the cost to benefit for lithium boat batteries. Maybe when or if the price comes down.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    I got a single 36volt 18 amp charger with my purchase of 3-12 volt Dakota Lithium batteries. It’s not “marine grade “ however. I chucked my built in charger and use external chargers now. I have no reason to have it built in.
    I've taken the onboard chargers out of my last two boats and use connectors like these. I keep the charger in a Pelican type case I got from Harbor Freight.

18. Member
    I'm not seeing justification for the cost of lithium just yet, I have two group 31 AGM batteries in their 7th year, I fish 2 or 3 times a week at least 10 ours a day most times, when I get home I plug the charger in and they're ready to go in the morning, I don't need it any quicker. I also heard lithiums don't like winter storage up here in the north, I keep my batteries on my onboard charger all winter
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

19. Banned
    I just put 2 lithiums in my boat. Been out 4 times so far with them, just for relatively short 8 hour or so trips compared to my summer fishing marathons. Don't know where they ended percentage charge wise but I do know that on a similar day my lead acids would be at 12.6 volts at the end of the day and 12.3 at the end of a really long day. Charged up in 3 or 4 hours after use. Use was beating the bank at maybe 2 or 3 on the dial, a few jaunts near full out. Spotlock on for a couple hours.. For my type of use I'm pretty sure I wasted my money on lithiums but whatever. Had more money than brains the day I bought them. I'll run them a couple more months but I suspect I'll sell them to my buddy that wants them and he has more money than me and less brains than sometimes.
    I do believe that if you run hard over 7 on the dial alot on the trolling motor then lithiums may be worth it

I buy new batteries every 3 years so I guess lithium’s are not that much more expensive....I personally have never had much issues with lead or AGMs. With that said I’ll be switching to lithium’s just due to the weight....and longevity. I won’t buy unless I choose a brand with a 10 year warranty. Most brands I see have less and “water intrusion” is a warranty issues ?? In a boat ??
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast