Group 24 cranking battery

Time to replace my group 24 cranking battery. Have a AC Delco now and has even great, but looking to maybe replace it with something else. Boat only has a Mercury 75 four stroke, but also have three Helix7 and all pumps and lights on this battery. I see my local O’Riellys has a group 24 with 800 cca and 1000mca. Anybody tried one? Interstate also makes one about the same size, not a big fan of their marine batteries. Would like to stay with a 24 if it will do the job.

2. Member
    I haven’t had good luck with Interstate batteries. If that 24 series has done the job, I would get one as close as possible in cca and rc as the current one. Forget mca there is no standard for that measure.

3. Member
    Northstar or X2 Power AGM 24's are gonna be the best. My boat originally came with a Deka 1000 battery but Deka doesn't make that battery anymore.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

For that motor concentrate more on reserve minutes. Shoot for 190 or better, CCA of 800 is more than enough
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Time to replace my group 24 cranking battery. Have a AC Delco now and has even great, but looking to maybe replace it with something else. Boat only has a Mercury 75 four stroke, but also have three Helix7 and all pumps and lights on this battery. I see my local O’Riellys has a group 24 with 800 cca and 1000mca. Anybody tried one? Interstate also makes one about the same size, not a big fan of their marine batteries. Would like to stay with a 24 if it will do the job.
    Not a coincidence that Interstate and O’Reilly have the same size battery. They are both made by Clarios as was your ACDelco.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Not a coincidence that Interstate and O’Reilly have the same size battery. They are both made by Clarios as was your ACDelco.
    Thanks CatFan. So does that mean I got lucky with my Delco, because I have had terrible luck with Interstate?

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Thanks CatFan. So does that mean I got lucky with my Delco, because I have had terrible luck with Interstate?
    The Clarios batteries are decent batteries. Motorcraft, Delco, Everstart for years, Duralast, Autocraft, Mopar
    Interstate and plenty more are all the same battery. I get at least 4 years out of a set.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The Clarios batteries are decent batteries. Motorcraft, Delco, Everstart for years, Duralast, Autocraft, Mopar
    Interstate and plenty more are all the same battery. I get at least 4 years out of a set.
    Sounds good thanks buddy.

9. Member
    Had a Deka group 24 wet cell with my 75 HP Optimax when i bought my new boat, never had any problems, replaced after 6 years with a group 27 Deka after 1 of the original TM Deka batteries lost a cell. Original battery still good but why push your luck !