Nice combo--But for what?

A few years ago I had some extra cash and bought what at the time was a very nice rod and reel combo. A Dobyn's Champion Extreme 702 and an Aldebaron 50HG. Since I got it, I've struggled with what to use it for. I don't want to sell it but I'd like to catch some fish on it. I've tried shakeyhead and Texas rig. What else would people use it for?

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

2. Member
    Weightless Senkos

3. Member
    Small surface lures

4. Member
    Finesse jigs, Small topwater poppers, jerkbaits, wacky or shakeup heads, light Texas rigs, Small swimbaits around 1/4 oz, smaller cranks. Anything around 3/16 to just over 3/8 oz would be likely just fine.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    Small surface lures
    Bingo. Spook Jr, small poppers. I have a blast with my Conquest50 and my custom Lee Smith M rod for topwater.

6. Member
    I would think any finesse technique besides super light stuff. SpybAits and small cranks would be fun

7. Member
    If you can't think of anything you can send it to me!

8. Member
    I've got a similar set up that just gets no use, its even older than that. It's a gen 1 Cumara 7'2 M xf and a Chronarch 50mg. Its a sweet setup, so light but I can't find anything its good for. It's almost a parabolic bend, and I've tried everything from Shakey heads to small crankbaits.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I've got a similar set up that just gets no use, its even older than that. It's a gen 1 Cumara 7'2 M xf and a Chronarch 50mg. Its a sweet setup, so light but I can't find anything its good for. It's almost a parabolic bend, and I've tried everything from Shakey heads to small crankbaits.
    How did the Cumara work for small cranks? I wouldn't have thought to use it for that with the XF tip rating.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdirty View Post
    How did the Cumara work for small cranks? I wouldn't have thought to use it for that with the XF tip rating.
    Like I said I haven't found anything its good for but it did OK. The rod is so soft I thought it would work good for that. It's also so soft it doesn't really have any backbone. I guess it would probably be good for drop shots, but I hate that $h!t.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I have the same combo Just love those Chonarch 50 mgs. I use it for throwing weighless 4 inch stickbaits (YUM) to cruising smallmouths.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    I have the same combo Just love those Chonarch 50 mgs. I use it for throwing weighless 4 inch stickbaits (YUM) to cruising smallmouths.
    I'm sure its great for that, thats just something I never do. Maybe I should.

13. Member
    Decided I'm going to fish Clear Lake next week so put on a 1/4 oz bullet weight and am going to throw a Texas-rigged swim Senko. I don't fish them like a swimbait, more like a jig. Should work for that.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

14. Member
    That setup with swim senko should work well at Clearlake, espy this time of the year with the lake being so low. Most of the tulles and weeds are high and dry. Won’t need pulling power.

15. Member
    I would think floating weightless worms, whackey worms, finess crankbaits and 1/4 oz rattle traps, small jerk baits, Ned rigs. None of these techniques require a hard hook set so this set up should do well in these situations