Has anyone upgraded to an aftermarket trailer for Ranger RT188?

I really like my 2014 RT188. I am the original owner and have had only one problem with the trailer that wasn't my fault (broken leaf spring). However, as others have commented, the trailer does seem a bit flimsy. Has anyone upgraded with an aftermarket trailer or investigated doing so? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DAnderson View Post
    I really like my 2014 RT188. I am the original owner and have had only one problem with the trailer that wasn't my fault (broken leaf spring). However, as others have commented, the trailer does seem a bit flimsy. Has anyone upgraded with an aftermarket trailer or investigated doing so? Thanks.
    I had a 2014 Ranger trailer that broke a spring and I replaced it with the 2016 version Ranger trailer which is very much improved.
    Unfortunately after JM bought Ranger, they eliminated the Ranger trailer and switched to Tracker trailers so that is not an option.
    However, my new Ranger trailer was built by EZ-Loader in Midway AR so they may have an aftermarket equivalent.
    I’m very pleased with my new trailer, especially after I added two additional bunks and backup lights.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Those backup lights are slick. How did you wire them?

4. Member
    I bought my 2017 triton 18tx with a magic tilt trailer. Original owner bought the trailer. Im sure glad he did. Absolutely love it

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Those backup lights are slick. How did you wire them?
    I spliced into the blue wire in the harness. I don’t know if Ranger did it on the trailers they made in house, but the ones EZ-Loader made under contract have all LED lights and the blue wire and connector is already in the harness for backup lights. You will notice that I already used the provided plug when I installed the combo tail/turn/stop/backup lights. However the integrated backup light is not bright enough for me so I installed the additional light bars. Since I already used the plug I had to splice into the blue wire.

6. Member
    Bill, Those are great trailer mods! Were did you get the brackets for the bunks? I've been thinking of doing the same thing.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimg67 View Post
    Bill, Those are great trailer mods! Were did you get the brackets for the bunks? I've been thinking of doing the same thing.
    cabelas, academy, etrailer.
    most are ce smith branded. I got mine cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/ce-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    2019 Ranger rt188c
    115 pro xs ct
    Ulterra 24v ipilot link
    bird helix 9 gen2 mega console
    bird helix 10 gen3 mega bow
    spyderlok r100 rod holders
    spyderlok r300 transport

Hi Guys:

My 2014 RT188 trailer snapped a leaf spring yesterday, does anyone know the weight capacity of the spring? I called Ranger Parts and they didn't think they would be able to have someone call me back until Monday. One of my local Tractor Supply Stores sells a 1750 lb. capacity spring that looks like a direct replacement (25.25" eye to eye, 3 leaves). Of course this happened before I am supposed to fish in a tournament tomorrow.

Thanks for any input.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

I did not see this until today, And I tried to find out the axle load rating but to no avail. Did you figure it out?
    My 2014 broke a spring as well (Starboard side). This came after 4 years of fighting the Starboard side of the boat rubbing the tail light and loading guide and me trying everything to solve the problem. Once it broke, it became apparent that it had been cracked across about 2/3 of the width the whole time.
    I replaced it in 2018 with the better design Ranger trailer and I was relieved to see that they were using 4 leaves in the springs.
    However, after about a year, the trailer was wearing the outside of the Starboard tire and my dealer found where it had been rubbing inside the fender. Thanks to my dealers insistence, EZ-Loader replaced both springs. Only time will tell if that solved the problem.
    Ranger seems to have a lot of problems with springs.

I ended up buying two new springs of the correct dimension (length) from Tractor Supply Company, rated at 1750 lbs. each. I needed the boat and trailer yesterday and it seems to ride the same as prior to the spring breaking so if Ranger calls me tomorrow and says that I need heavier springs at least I am now skilled in replacing them. The second spring took me about 1/4th the amount of time as the first (broken) one. I don't trailer all that often as most of the time the boat sits on a lift. It is nice to fish someplace new now and again, the past two club trips have been to lakes with ZERO private development along the shorelines. What a pleasant change of pace from Smith Mountain Lake where you are always fishing next to someone's house.

Short update, Ranger parts was supposed to call me on Monday with the specs but I never received a call. I’d like to order a swim ladder as well

The Ranger ladders are made by Metalogic in Flippin AR. I called them when searching for mine but they referred me to Ranger, but I asked for the specific Ranger ladder. I think they have the same ladder available in their standard catalog.
    might be worth a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    The Ranger ladders are made by Metalogic in Flippin AR. I called them when searching for mine but they referred me to Ranger, but I asked for the specific Ranger ladder. I think they have the same ladder available in their standard catalog.
    might be worth a call.
    Thanks, I will give them a call.

14. Member
    I have been struggling with this issue as well. My starboard side rubs the tail light housing and is slowly putting a hole in the side of the boat. I raised the bunks by 1/2 inch and it seemed to work OK for about 2.5 months - but I noticed it nicked the side again and damaged the repair work on the aluminum.

I am completely stumped and this essentially makes the trailer/boat useless.

What year is your boat/trailer?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by wsdv135 View Post
    I have been struggling with this issue as well. My starboard side rubs the tail light housing and is slowly putting a hole in the side of the boat. I raised the bunks by 1/2 inch and it seemed to work OK for about 2.5 months - but I noticed it nicked the side again and damaged the repair work on the aluminum.

I am completely stumped and this essentially makes the trailer/boat useless.
    These are the same symptoms I struggled with on my 2014 trailer when I had a weak spring on the Starboard side. My advice is to replace both springs before the weak one breaks and leaves you stranded on the side of the road.
    The cost is not that great nor are they very difficult to replace now but things get really complicated of one breaks.