Lake Cumberland first timer

Hello,

I'll be vacationing on lake Cumberland early june just south of Somerset pretty close to Burnside marina. What would be the recommended boat ramp?
    I guess the safest/cheapest on that order, I see 4 close by:

General Burnside state park boat ramp
    Burnside Marina
    Lakeview boat ramp
    Waitsboro campground ramp?

Also, is the fishing good in the river part our should i travel a few miles west from Somerset. Will mostly be bass fishing for the week.

Any tips appreciated

Cheers

2. Member
    All 4 safe, whole area safe. Burnside state park is free launch. I’d suggest avoid sat and sun as pleasure boats will be out in force. Rivers fish fine- spots and largemouths more so than smallies , further down lake has more smallmouth IMO and generally bigger fish. Topwater worms jigs typical stuff works

3. Member
    Holiday weekends launching can be a long wait at burnside island. All ramps are safe too. Typical stuff right now spinnerbait, jerk bait, jig, crank bait & plastics along with a rig. Debri from the floods are awful & will be for awhile so be careful. Creeks are in good shape so you might want to fish them.

4. Member
    By June the plague from the north that gets worse every year will be in full effect. Plan on fishing early and getting off the water before the water is overrun by drunks
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

5. Member
    Probably still be logs floating too until July. Night
    fishing would be best though & should be a good jig & plastics bite. If moonlight slow roll a big Colorado blade spinner bait too.

6. Member
    Is debris still a problem? Y'all haven't had much rain the past week or so, and it appears water level still coming down.

7. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    Is debris still a problem? Y'all haven't had much rain the past week or so, and it appears water level still coming down.
    Last Sunday when I was there it was. It’s not the whole lake but there are still places it’s hairy.

8. Member
    Yeah debris bad- 15 ft abrupt rise kills it for a few weeks. Cland takes it on the chin so Nashville don’t fo sho

9. Member
    Buddy told me yesterday that Pleasant Hill looked like a log yard. Man i'll be glad when it clears up.

10. Member
    Oh boy, there's 4 tourney this coming weekend, total of 400+ boats Sat alone. Playing dodgers with boats is tough enough, let alone dancing around logs.

I could have picked a better weekend to go lol.

11. Member
    400?
    What is the tournaments?

12. Member
    I saw it here, on KY tourney site: https://app.fw.ky.gov/fisheries/fish...asid=*&month=*

13. Member
    I wish all the friggen big tournaments would go to Kentucky lake !!! Sucks for locals that work all week and just want to take your kid fun fishing on the weekend!

14. Member
    Well I was out yesterday- it’s a mess, lower units will bite the dust

15. Member
    ^^^ How is water clarity? And where all did you go?

16. Member
    I went to burnside- was gonna do cedar but worked till exhausted Wednesday and didn’t have steam. Ran south fork and main drag which has heavy stain , then Pittman which is gin clear. Big nasty logs that with wind and waves were very hard to see. Down lake may be better but I don’t like fishing here after big rise, then rapid drop- I tend to wait till it stabilizes out and go elsewhere in interim

17. Member
    Well we had trouble finding clear water. We fished backs of Greasy, Otter and Beaver creeks. Otter was still stained, other 2 clearer. Sat was a bust but the sun helped us boat fish on Sunday.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    I wish all the friggen big tournaments would go to Kentucky lake !!! Sucks for locals that work all week and just want to take your kid fun fishing on the weekend!
    I’m just glad they’re leaving Kentucky alone for awhile. We’ve been pounded hard enough for the last 15 years

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmaxwell0003 View Post
    I’m just glad they’re leaving Kentucky alone for awhile. We’ve been pounded hard enough for the last 15 years
    You can have them back! Locals dont want them here either!