Thread: Caddo Lake Tips

Caddo Lake Tips

Hey everyone. From April 30 - May 3 I知 taking a trip to Caddo with my dad and a couple of our buddies. We致e never been to Caddo and I知 hoping to get some tips such as types of baits and colors that are usually good and maybe a couple of areas of the lake to start our search. Also, any navigation tips. From studying Navionics it looks like running around might be interesting to say the least. We池e staying at Shady Glade resort so if you have any restaurant suggestions I知 all ears! Thanks in advance.

i have a club tournament out there April 24th. I plan to fish the tree's on the N. side of Big Green Break ( big Island in the middle of the lake ). If you've done your homework, flipping Cypress is normally going to hold fish. Flip the shady side of the tree's. Shady Glade area right out front in the river is good too.

As for Places to eat... Shady Glade is great for Breakfast and lunch. There's also a place called "Lighthouse Bar" that's about a mile from Shady Glade ( not on the water ) that has a bad ass Burger, and I'm sure has other good things. Only sell Beer and Wine, but it's a great hole in the wall place that you wouldn't think is worthy, but trust me - it's great! Big Pines is decent. RiverBend is good too ( catfish/shrimp ).

let me know if you have more questions.. assume you have a graph with GPS and map chip. You'll need that to run the boat pole. ( stay to the < side of the boat poles ).

Jeff

3. Member
    Thanks Jeff. We have graphs with gps and experience with boat lanes. We’ll take it easy as we grow our confidence getting around. And I’ll be to use the fishing and food advice. If anyone else has info to add I certainly welcome it.

4. Member
    Do not get out of boat lane on pad. Caddy is my home lake and Ive seen numerous boats damaged by cutting a corner. The boat lanes a well marked and easy to follow. Caddo is a shallow lake so staying in the boat lanes is a must if your aren’t idling.

I’m a fan of Big Pines lodge down on the River closer to the 43 crossing. There catfish is usually outstanding. Rumor has it that’s it’s for sale. Been a few months since Ive been out there so I don’t know if they are still open. Shady glades for breakfast.

Big Green break is always a popular spot to catch fish. I prefer little green break since its not as pressured. Trout pond, Eagles nest, Alligator Bayou and anything along boat lane C can be good.

Caddo can be discouraging as everything looks like it should have a fish on it. I personally focus on the base of the cypress trees/knees. I have good success flipping them with a weightless stick worms and jigs. Also, have good luck throwing bladed jigs around the grass mats. Black/blue, watermelon, watermelon red and June bug are my go to colors. Frogging can also be good in pads.

Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have anymore questions.

Do the boat lane poles still have the signs shaped like arrows that tell you which lane you are on and which side of the poles to run (DO NOT RUN ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE POLES!!)? If I remember correctly, boat lanes #1 and #2 are the main "highways", and 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. run across them. I haven't been on Caddo in 30 years (long before GPS), but we are also supposed to fish the McKinney Club Tournament on April 24. What I remember most is that the whole lake is like 6' deep, it is not hard to get lost - it all looks the same, and there are several million cypress stumps that are right under the surface and are as hard as steel! They will stop your big engine, and you won't even dent them! I believe I still have an "old school" lake map that I'm going to dig out.
    Last edited by Texas Larry; 04-16-2021 at 08:47 AM.

6. Member
    We start fishing in the morning. Any advice for fishing after this rain?