Thread: 2021 Jag Prop ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sounds like you've got a handle on it now.
    Btw, the "fs" model on the bravos is for "four stroke" that's why they don't have the xtra holes like the xs bravos because they are not needed with the extra torque on the four stokes.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

2. Member
    Yep. I tested lots of props when the ranger 621fs came out. they moved the consoles forward 6"vs the VS and the 350 vrod came out and required 3 bolts per side. lowering it on transom 2". My 350 621fs was one of the first. went 55. terrible bow rise. worked with Scott riechow at merc. Had to add a jack plate to get motor up. And tested rev 4, LT, and FS props. My wife finally said they have to stop sending you all the heavy boxes. When we were done I had a 22.5 LT and jackplate at 10. Saw 64.1 just me light load with 5mph wind at my back. Had Stern lift and bow down on hole shot. So not my first prop testing go around... 55 and terrible performance (dangerous as couldn't see forward until 22mph) vs 64 and level start. All with prop change and motor height change.

A year or two later ranger stopped shipping 3 blade tempests and low and behold FS 22's on their 620/621s...

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
    Update on props.

The verado 300 V8 comes in a 1.75 and 1.85 gear ratio LU. Mine is a 1.85. So that is around a 6% difference vs a 250/300 proxs, 350 vrod, and 400 vrod who use a 1.75. So if you run a 300vrod you need to go up in pitch around 1.5" to equal all the other merc options...

Plus any bravo 4 blade needs 2" more pitch to equal non merc racing props (aka fury 3/4 blades).

So I received my 24" bravo XS in error from BC. They are correcting it by allowing me to pick my prop. I have been working with Nick Peterson at Merc racing.

My 26.5 bravo XS hits rev limiter with 2 big Americans 40 gallons of gas and empty wells. Barely. 69mph. I have a 27" bravo XS coming. I plugged 1 of each prop PVS holes so its actually the same prop as a FS. The FS and XS are the exact same prop with 4 extra holes on the XS. A bravo LT is the exact same prop as a FS with longer tube (actually the prop comes out of the mold as a LT - they chop off the back of the tube to make FS/XS props). No idea why the FS is not named the ST (short tube) as the LT stands for long tube.

I also learned the 1/2" pitch props are just the whole number prop below with more cupping.

So I likely will still be a tad underpropped which I prefer for hole shot and midrange punch. It should hit 70-71 if prop slip doesnt go up much.

If you have a 350/400 vrod or a 250/300 proxs the 27" bravo is the same as a 25.5" on those lower units. So the folks running 400 with 26 bravo props makes sense as a 1/2" higher pitch vs mine after lower unit gear ratio conversion.

If you run a fury mine would be the same as a 23.5" fury on a 250/300 proxs.

So it all makes sense now. From a 24 fury you add 2" for a bravo. 26". then for a 300 vrod you add another 1.5" - 27.5" bravo XS/FS. And I will end up with a 27" bravo XS unless this prop hits rev limiter loaded up too.

Yes - this took some time to figure out... Merc doesn't say anything about adding 2" going from fury to bravo. And Nick at merc was the one who figured out the lower unit gear ratio differences between 300vrod and EVERY other engine option on the jag... I assume its for the salt boats... Sure confuses things for the end user...

Awesome info. Thanks for sharing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12