Adapting trim from 1983 Mercury 200 to 1996 Mercury 2 Wire Trim

Adapting a 1996 Mercury 200 Mid section serial number 067373534 to a early 1983 Mercury harness with solenoids.
    4520D9E9-A0D1-42A1-B44A-7E4E9EE21D86.jpeg1FDDC6B7-6285-42A0-A6BA-B93B74515687.jpeg

2. Member
    The old style had two blue whites off of the harness from throttle. Do I eliminate the short blue/white off of the throttle harness near solenoids and run new to blue and green from solenoids. What wires do I run to the sender? Pump works if I bypass and ground other. But when I hook up to existing wiring just get click of solenoids. Have solenoid grounded to battery. Power from battery switch.
    Thanks in advance
    Tom

3. Member
    use purple for up side /brn,white for sender for trim, purple and blu can be tied together also no need to run another wire green to down
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    1D0C8582-377E-4299-AEDF-BF7CD8E8B00C.jpegAF316945-F389-4B7C-B3AA-9722EADAC4C9.jpegThis is what I am dealing with. So on the blue/white wire from the throttle lever, I can wire into the other blue wire from throttle before the male plug. I have the brown white from throttle on bracket connected to the brown to the trim sender. Can I leave the purple/white female from throttle disconnected?
    That leaves me with the three wires (brown is hooked to brown/white) that are purple, blue and black. So I tie the purple and blue together and hook to up solenoid and combine the purple and blue at trim motor and hook to blue wire that goes to trim pump. What do I hook to the other black wire coming off trim pump and the other black wire from sender?
    So I am leaving the down solenoid with nothing going to the cowling?

sorry for length. Just lost at this point. Motor runs perfect. Just need trim to ride.

Tom

5. Member
    Actually, I wont have another black wire. That was the purple one that I think I am connecting together to blue.

6. Member
    so your using 83 trim system single ram that blue and purple is for limit switch and other two are for sender brn goes to brn /wht blc to grnd blue goes to blue and purple goes to purp /wht or by pass it hook purple to blue white then to small solenoid post, remember when switch is pressed whichever wires becomes 12v is up or dn , trim and tilt will work with none of those in pic connected if wire up
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member

Trim

Throttle cabling is from 1983. Trim is on a 96 mid section. More confused now.

8. Member
    okay mash the switch down hook the wire that now has 12v (green) to same solenoid that the green wire from mtr goes too small wire goes on small post big wire goes on big post,do same with up curcuit solenoids have to be grounded as well as black wire from engine trim small black wire on trim sender grounds on sender bolt and other hooks to brn /wht stripe from control, you should have blue wht and purple wht ty them togethr hook them to small post on up solenoid , it matter where you grnd black wire from tilt mtr but it has to be grnded make sense ha you think your confused

9. Member
    Ok, so far I have: Brown/White from throttle, connects to bracket (screw into plastic) that holds the two solenoids and then to a Brown wire that continues to sender. The Black from the sender goes back to the bracket where it is grounded to bracket.
    Blue/White wire from throttle is to be cut and put together with Purple/White wire and then to the little bolt that has the Blue/White wire that comes from the male receptacle plug on the solenoid bracket.
    Blue large wire goes to large up solenoid bolt. Then to blue trim pump wire mounted on engine.
    Purple large wire goes to large down Solenoid bolt. Then to trim pump wire mounted on engine.

Power is from battery switch. Power post on solenoid has a bracket to bridge the two power posts on solenoids. Ground is from battery and connected to the solenoid bracket. The solenoids are grounded to bracket.

Been jumping wires with small gauge and still getting click up and click down with temp fittings. Going to hardwire some 14 gauge wire and see what happens.

Tom

10. Member
    Still clicking when I trim up and down. Know it’s not solenoids since they worked perfect before. Going keep trying.
    Tom

11. Member
    now i know where problem is you need relay harness to use 2 wire mtr set up for this cant use solenoids for 2 wire system my fault i didnt read heading that you had 2 wire system on mid section duh

12. Member
    I started sourcing relays and wiring this am. I am assuming putting the blue/white and purple/white is still ok. Any tricks to wiring the relays?
    Tom

13. Member
    819514a11-harness and 2 882751a1 relays should do it

14. Member
    Brown/White from throttle, connects to bracket (screw into plastic) that holds the two solenoids and then to a Brown wire that continues to sender. The Black from the sender goes back to the bracket where it is grounded to bracket. Assuming I can still follow this format. And that I can use the purple/white and blue/white wires coming from throttle that I joined together to the blue/white prong on the relay.
    Tom

15. Member
    as long as brn/wht is connected to brn/wht and sender wire grnd is grnded gauge should move if sender is good , yes to format , shouldnt even need that plate with solenoids any more

16. Member
    I was going to cut at the end of the harness from throttle to trim bracket. Run brown/white, black ground to sender. I do not have a gauge, assumed I had to hook up the wires to the sender for trim to work.
    remove the bracket. Run two wires through rigging tube and mount relays in the cowling.