Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Torsion Axle Bolts

OK...I know this has been covered more than a few times but the search function does not work just for this forum for the subject.

So what I remember is that the bolt needs to be checked after X amount of miles after getting the new boat/trailer, then once a year, and re torquing the bolts to 150 ft lbs. So here are my questions...

Do these bolts loosen through bolt stretching? Thought I read where Bass Cat has gone to Grade 8 bolts, and if this re tightening has to be done every year will the bolts eventually need to be replaced due to the amount of stretch taking place because the bolt will eventually fail? Cars/trucks/etc. use nuts/bolts that go for 100,000 miles and never have to be touched.

If the bolts are not stretching then is there a reason why loc-tite cannot be used?

Just looking for a one and done option for this if there is one.

2. Member
    I'm not sure if or when BCB started replacing the torsion bolt with a Grade 8, but the issue is stretching with the standard bolt.
    IMO the Grade 8 Bolt should eliminate the stretching issue. I also don't see any reason why Blue Loctite couldn't be used.

Don
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 04-13-2021 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Too much Cajun in my English!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

LokTite definitely could be used, and the bolts are stretching in our opinion. The stretch just doesn’t happen without a side load or impact.

4. Member
    What year did they start using grade 8 at the factory? I've got a 2017 do I need to make the swap?

5. Member
    BCB stated on a previous thread they started grade 8 bolts in 2020.

Just want to add, and I am not trying to be critical with any of this.

The torsion bolts are requiring to be re torqued every so often, and I would imagine that if it is not do to the bolts stretching then it is due to vibration. I have a 3/4" socket set, 150ft lb electric impact wrench, torque wrench that goes to 150ft lbs, and a few floor jacks because I wrench on cars, trucks, etc. so I have the tools and the ability to do this once a year. I think it is fair to say that most on here do not have the tools to do this every year, the ability, and because it is something that might be a good idea to do once a year that most probably forget until it becomes a problem.

So starting with the 2020 model trailers grade 8 bolts are being used. Are grade 8 bolts bolts being used as well? Are the bolts coarse thread or fine thread, and would the nuts be the nylon locking type?

My new boat is in production so I have no idea what is being used on the trailer other than the grade 8 bolts. If loc-tite is being suggested then does that mean that there are no nylon locking nuts being used currently?

I know Mercury wants you to use grade 8 fine thread bolts and nylon locking nuts when mounting an engine (at least the last time I put an engine on myself that was the case). I know that a quality single fine thread grade 8 bolt & nylon locking nut is about $12 for the both, and yes that adds to the cost to the consumer...but I would bet no one who buys a Bass Cat is going to complain about spending maybe an extra $200 or whatever for the hardware, labor, and loc-tite (blue if even needed) to not have to worry on a yearly basis about tightening suspension bolts. In the big scheme of things paying an extra $200 for the peace of mind is chump change compared to not having to deal with something like this as most would have to take it to a shop and that $200 would be spent anyway paying someone else to do this yearly.

I would suggest Bass Cat putting together a torsion bolt kit for the non 2020 trailers so Bass Cat owners can order what is needed, and know that they are getting what is needed along with quality hardware as there as a lot of counterfeit bolts being sold that will not do what is needed. If an owner is going to swap out these bolts/nuts then be careful what you buy as in quality hardware you do get what you pay for. You are not going to get what you need from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Unless Bass Cat has a different opinion I would look at going fine thread for the replacement bolt with a nylon locking nut...all Grade 8.
    Last edited by angleiron; 04-16-2021 at 07:29 AM.

7. Member
    Which bolts are we talking about the bolt on the knuckle are the bolts attaching the axle to the trailer?
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

The idler bolts that fasten it to the splined torsion axle.

9. Member
    If I’m having a hard time finding a nylock replacement (instead of re-using the originals) could you just double nut them?
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Once it’s torqued the nut doesn’t really matter much. LokTite would suffice also.

11. Member
    Thanks for the quick reply that was not on my maintenance list
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

12. Member
    What is the actual thread size and length required to change to Grade 8? 2012 Cougar FTD
    2012 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    2012 Mercury ProXS 250 w/ Fury 3 26

Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    If I’m having a hard time finding a nylock replacement (instead of re-using the originals) could you just double nut them?
    I thought I saw where it was recommended to check yearly?

Can loc-tite be added to these bolts at the factory? For me it is not an issue to re torque what is needed because I have the ability and the tools to be able to do so. Most will not, and it is a simple thing to add to prevent potential grief down the road.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    I thought I saw where it was recommended to check yearly?

Can loc-tite be added to these bolts at the factory? For me it is not an issue to re torque what is needed because I have the ability and the tools to be able to do so. Most will not, and it is a simple thing to add to prevent potential grief down the road.
    I too saw the once a year recommendation. I went to have my inner worn tires turned Friday. He told me to come back and showed me where the tire meets the wheel (bead?) had some bad spots. He recommended replacement also because the tires were 2012’s (original from the factory I guess).
    So now I have grade 8 bolts and 4 new tires so I retightened and applied loctite. I swear I can still see a slight lean inwards while pulling. I know when I jack up the wheel when the tire clears the ground the tire tilts slightly more upright. As if it were leaning.6F7170B2-109C-42CC-BA99-E920C1F3BB66.jpeg
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

15. Member
    With all the torsion issues, it sure looks like a good argument to go back to leaf springs. they rarely have problems.

16. Member
    And what if anything can be done (besides new axles) to alleviate inner tire wear? Because if these new tires start wearing I will be looking for a solution.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    With all the torsion issues, it sure looks like a good argument to go back to leaf springs. they rarely have problems.
    Amen.
    Last edited by Macsimus; 04-19-2021 at 09:48 AM.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    BCB prefers the Leaf Spring system for durability, but it seems the consumer prefers the quietness of the Torsion system.
    Over time the Leaf system can become quite squeaky being driven and continually being dunked in the water.

I would have no issue going back to the Leaf Spring system even though I have had zero problems with my torsion system.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    BCB prefers the Leaf Spring system for durability, but it seems the consumer prefers the quietness of the Torsion system.
    Over time the Leaf system can become quite squeaky being driven and continually being dunked in the water.

I would have no issue going back to the Leaf Spring system even though I have had zero problems with my torsion system.

Don
    Leaf springs is not even listed as an option except for the 3" small boat trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post

Don
    I have heard this before...the consumer wanted this suspension. How can this even be possible as how many consumers have had experience with a torsion suspension to demand that the leaf springs go away and the torsion option be installed? I think the torsion suspension was installed as people complained about the squeaky leaf springs to Bass cat. People will complain about most everything but the squeaky leaf sprigs were easy to take care of by the owner with just some grease less spray lube. But instead what I believe happened is that Bass Cat made a decision that the torsion option might be an option to quiet the customer complaints about the leaf spring squeaks, and just through time these issues started popping up that were not expected. No one is to blame I don't think...just a solution is needed that can be put together to alleviate the torsion issue(s).
    Last edited by angleiron; 04-21-2021 at 08:20 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast