Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    I have heard this before...the consumer wanted this suspension. How can this even be possible as how many consumers have had experience with a torsion suspension to demand that the leaf springs go away and the torsion option be installed? I think the torsion suspension was installed as people complained about the squeaky leaf springs to Bass cat. People will complain about most everything but the squeaky leaf sprigs were easy to take care of by the owner with just some grease less spray lube. But instead what I believe happened is that Bass Cat made a decision that the torsion option might be an option to quiet the customer complaints about the leaf spring squeaks, and just through time these issues started popping up that were not expected. No one is to blame I don't think...just a solution is needed that can be put together to alleviate the torsion issue(s).
    Hopefully the new stronger bolts will do that. I have had several boats with the leaf suspension and the rig bounces worse on the road. The torsion axle is a smoother ride on the boat and motor in comparison. I have seen guys on the side of the road with broken leaf spring. In fact it happened to me with a champion I once owned.

The Grade 8 bolts have been tremendously successful at reducing idler issues. Boats since 2020 have not been a problem that we know of. In theory they might help an older trailer, though often they already have damage we’ve found.

We have very little trouble with our leaf springs also. We don’t see many breaking ever. We did have some mono and multi leaf Chinese springs, many years ago a purchasing agent bought saving a buck without approval. We changed those out pretty quick when it was found.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The Grade 8 bolts have been tremendously successful at reducing idler issues. Boats since 2020 have not been a problem that we know of. In theory they might help an older trailer, though often they already have damage we’ve found.

We have very little trouble with our leaf springs also. We don’t see many breaking ever. We did have some mono and multi leaf Chinese springs, many years ago a purchasing agent bought saving a buck without approval. We changed those out pretty quick when it was found.
    Could adding the loc-tite as well to the nuts/bolts be something that you folks could do as well? I am sure the blue version is all that would be needed to give that warm and fuzzy feeling of having to worry about the nut/bolt coming loose.

4. Member
    Would there be a better picture showing exactly which bolt we are referring to? I haven't had any problems on my 18' with several thousand miles on it but may want to be proactive and check the torque on this bolt everyone is talking about.

Thanks!
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by proptwister View Post
    Would there be a better picture showing exactly which bolt we are referring to? I haven't had any problems on my 18' with several thousand miles on it but may want to be proactive and check the torque on this bolt everyone is talking about.

Thanks!
    C6CCEB97-BCBF-4740-97CE-44674A0D28A7.jpeg
    This is the best I have right now. It’s the bolt/nut that secures this piece onto your axle.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

6. Member
    Thanks!
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    C6CCEB97-BCBF-4740-97CE-44674A0D28A7.jpeg
    This is the best I have right now. It’s the bolt/nut that secures this piece onto your axle.
    In total how many bolts need to be replaced?

8. Member
    I need to check these on my trailer, just out of curiosity, what size socket is it for the nut and bolt? Make sure I have the tools available when I take the tires off.
    150ft/#’s seems to be the norm. Thanks guys
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Socket is 15/16
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Socket is 15/16
    Thank you
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    In total how many bolts need to be replaced?
    1 per wheel, so 4 on dual axle and 2 on single.

What are other manufacturers of dual axle boat trailers using? I looked at a few trailers in the parking lot the other day. I did not notice tire wear or lean. Is BCB the only company with issues?

13. Member
    BCB aren't there only ones running torsion axles. Most bass boats and some salt water boats are using this system. I have/had the same issues with a Ranger. Club member has a Skeeter with tire wear issues. We ended up replacing the axle in this case as the splines we already worn so replacing bolts and torque the bolt wouldn't correct his issue.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

Most it gets to far worn before they catch the bolt stretch Tidewater. We are trying to be proactive and we do suggest those Grade 8 bolts and nuts swapped. We have those and now that we have a person to manage our Parts business again, we are adding a kit. We are also adding other items of interest to the parts store.

Been a long time coming, though we are very glad to have Daylon Owens in parts now.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater Bass View Post
    BCB aren't there only ones running torsion axles. Most bass boats and some salt water boats are using this system. I have/had the same issues with a Ranger. Club member has a Skeeter with tire wear issues. We ended up replacing the axle in this case as the splines we already worn so replacing bolts and torque the bolt wouldn't correct his issue.

Just brought my 2021 Caracal home, and I think we are all good now as nylon locking nuts are being used!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Longtime Basscat owner..I know nothing is free. AND Basscat has always been top notch, just dont know why this would be used if it was a known issue.

Seems like this should be free to owners with this issue, we pay enough for our boats.

Had a P3 for nearly 20 years..never an issue because they didnt have this issue.

Now own a P4

BIG suck to have to check these every so many miles and if you dont $$$

I will order the kit no doubt.
    Basscat P4

Trying to order but I guess you guys dont ship to Massachusetts anymore?

What happen?
    Basscat P4

Not sure though they will figure it out if it’s us.

19. Member
    for everyone needing this info it is as follows grade 8 (Bolts) 5/8-11 x 4 inch (Nuts) 5/8-11 nylocks (Washers) 5/8 flat washers / Note all hardware is yellow zinc coated standard bolts from the factory are grade 5 the difference is grade 8 has 150k Lbs tensile stregnth per square inch before it breaks as a grade 5 has 120K Lbs tensile strength per square inch before it breaks. This might explain why the grade 5 bolts are stretching or having problems hope this helps everyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast