Helix Slip Connector Issues

Yesterday, I visited shop building my new tin boat, and was talking to the builder about installing the electronics. Turns out, he hates the slip connectors on the Helix. Says that he has seen nothing but problems with that type of connection, and would rather install almost anything else, as long as it has twist or screw on connectors. He said that the vibration from running the boat will cause intermittent connection failures and, he has actually seen connectors broken off the back of the unit.

The boat is being built so I can bounce it off the rocks. And I plan on routinely running it up and down Class III rapids, so the Helix’s are going to see a fair amount of shock. I like the slip connectors and cable tray for quick disconnection, but if I’m going to have problems with it, I still have a week to return the Helix and go with a Solix.

What’s everyone experience with the Helix connector? Is it a real source of concern?

2. Member
    It can be an issue if you don't secure the slack and allow it to bounce around.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

3. Member
    Screw on connectors would be more reliable but haven't had a problem with the connector tray in 1' chop at higher speeds. Also agree with tweakjr on cable slack. Not sure I would even be trying to use a unit in those conditions though...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    If you are getting Helix 8 or above you should be fine. The Helix 7 and 5 connections are not reliable no matter what you do.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    In the end, I decided to go with 2 Helix 10s, one on the console and one on the bow. I liked just about everything better on the Solix, including the screw on connections. But in the end, it came down to the Helix having adjustable panes. I just see myself having the screen set on a 60/40 or 70/30 split most of the time. With either SI or Mega 360 in the large split and, DI and Sonar in two boxes in the smaller split screen.

Not very smart for Humminbird not to include adjustable panes on the Solix, cost them a couple of thousand in sales with me, and probably with many others too. I’m going to take the money saved and spend it on a Lowrance unit dedicated to mapping, which the Helix doesn’t do very well.