Mercury 250 Pro Xs Four Stroke High Pitch Noise

Anyone experiencing a high pitch noise when running mid throttle? Seems like mine is getting worse and worse by the day.

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Yes, my 250 has had pitch whistle sound that you can hear at constant throttle at 4500-5000 RPM since new. I think it is just normal intake noise.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    yep my 300 pro xs v8 is loud to actually be annoying a roar sound of air from the intake side

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

It would be really interesting if someone could catch this on video (both video and audio). Be even better to have RPM and GPS speed information to go along with the video (as I suspect this can't be replicated in the sound chamber).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Mine only started that right about a week or so before my lower unit was determined to be "on it's way to failure by the shop."

My motor is a little over 2yrs old and I just started hearing this noise about the last couple of months. Not sure why Engine S/N is required but it is S/N: 2B596665

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS