NRX 901s or 902s

Mainly for 1/8 and 1/4 oz hair jigs for smallies/walleyes and pulling 1/8 to 1/4 oz bullet weights with a spinner/crawler for walleyes over weeds. . I had a conquest 902 that was good for the hair jigs but a little stiff for my liking when pulling spinners so I sold it. I’ve heard the NRX 902 is a little lighter at the tip than the conquest, if true i’d be interested in that one unless it’s barely noticeable then the 901 might better suits my needs. Thoughts?

2. Member
    I have a 901s and I have handled a 902s. I've had my Loomis NRX 901 for more than 10 years so I'm familiar with it. The 901 is a soft tip rod with good power in the mid section I use it with lightweight lures, nothing over 1/8oz. I would use it for hair jigs but I think it would be a little light for 1/4 oz bullets weights + spinner +crawler in a weedy environment. I'm surprised that you want something so light for spinners.
    For me the 902s is a little stiffer, faster rod. Best thing would be to handle a NRX 902... if you can find one.

3. Member
    I’ve never handled either one. I have used a 872 which I didn’t mind the tip but then went into a 2x4 for backbone quickly, some like that I personally didn’t care for it. I’m looking for a relatively light tip that can handle the weights listed as well as a little slower action than the 872 and conquest 902. If the 901 is borderline “light” or even “UL” in action i’ll opt for the NRX 902. I would say 80% of use for this rod will be pulling spinners and have 1/4 oz bullet on it.
    Last edited by Rpolar; 04-13-2021 at 11:24 AM.

4. Member
    Get the 902. I use mine for many things, and 1/4 oz is fine

The 901 is a one trick pony. It’s good for throwing very light hair. A 4 lb smallie is a handful on that rod. Go 902 or find a nice 8’ custom for less money.

6. Member
    Just went downstairs to look at the NRX 901. It's a wonderful rod but not one that I would use for pulling spinners with 1/4 weights. Yes get the 902.

7. Member
    I have a sweet 8’ MLXF from tuned up custom that I love, was looking for something a little shorter for moving baits..I’d get another one of those TUCR’s in 7’6” but i’m not a big fan of the reel seat and I have $350 in gift cards for this place that has the 901 and 902 so figured i’d give one a shot. Looks like it’ll be the 902. Thanks for the help guys!!

8. Member
    Couldn’t make up my mind so I bought both the 901 and 902..I’ll be keeping the 902 as it is right on par for what I want, the 901 is a sweet rod with what i’d call a “fun” action and is what everyone said it was, a light tip with good backbone..great if fishing shallow water but the clear/deep rocky lakes I fish I’m usually in 20-35’ depending on time of day. A side note if anyone is looking for a awesome 8’ MLXF spinning rod check out tuned up custom rods, it would make for a very nice hair jig rod, action is similar to the 902 but 6” longer and has a slightly softer tip that goes to backbone a lil quicker than the 902. Not positive what blank they use but they look a lot like the rainshadow blanks!!