Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marking Reels For Line Type and Size

I need some good ideas for marking reels (temporarily) with line size and type. Thank You

I use these......

download.jpeg-4.jpg
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

I got this idea from here a long time ago. Can't remember who, but I use it a lot anymore. A small piece of white Electrical tape, taped to the bottom of the reel housing / body. For example. 12 FC or 10 M. I use a very fine tip permanent marker.

Painters Blue tape on bottom.

5. Member
    I use a Brother P Touch labeler for marking EVERYTHING. It cost $19 at Costco and works great for labeling the reel with line type/#test. Stays put but easily removed when needed. Also works great for labeling tool cabinet drawers.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlefire View Post
    I use these......

download.jpeg-4.jpg

Oh ya.. Im going to steal this!! Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCSr View Post
    Oh ya.. Im going to steal this!! Thank you!!
    Yeah, but where the heck do you attach them!?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckman View Post
    I put mine on the rod or sometimes on the reel. I assumed the op wanted something for when they are not being used.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckman View Post
    I would use for storage mostly.. and would put them on the bottom most eye, or on the line itself near the real.
    This way when I go get rods ready night before i go fishing.. I can quickly grab the rods i want and know which rod had which line as I use different lines for cranking, jigs, etc.. I wouldn't need the tags on the boat.

10. Scraps
    Saw a video by Kevin Short about using electrician's decals, found in the electrical aisle at Home-a-Dope. The decals are tiny and a PITA to deal with. I also use blue painter's tape I put on the rod. Which means you can switch a reel and lose the line size on the new rod. I have Lew's reels and will look into changing my cast control knobs to the ones that show line size. But, I also use many different line sizes and types in the never ending search for the BESTEST line so the blue tape allows me to show the specific line being used.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I use colored stick on dots. Yellow for 8#, Red for 10#, Blue for 12# and Green for 15#, Black for 17#. I stick them on the Reel Handle Nut, easy to see and I identify with out removing from the Rod Locker !!
    Last edited by wmitch2; 04-18-2021 at 06:14 PM.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Member
    I don't use so many different brands and weight line that i can't remember what i have spooled up.

This is what I use. You can get a template off the Avery website and print on them... i.e., line size, brand, date spooled.

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I use colored stick on dots. Yellow for *83, Red for 10#, Blue for 12# and Green for 15#, Black for 17#. I stick them on the Reel Handle Nut, easy to see and I identify with out removing from the Rod Locker !!

Quote Originally Posted by That4car View Post
    I need some good ideas for marking reels (temporarily) with line size and type. Thank You

Avery 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch round color coding labels from an office supply store. I write pound test, type of line, and date spooled.

2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

15. Member
    I have a spreadsheet I have all that info on, then use colored electrical tape for the reel ratio quick identification. I have a Brother labeler I plan to use for the line test and type. I want to know that information on the boat when I tie on my lures.

16. Member
    I use my label maker. Clean area you plan on putting labeling with alcohol first. Example 15F or 15M the F is fluorocarbon and M mono

17. Member
    I use a small dot of fingernail polish from the dollar store. I put a different color on each reel then I put a small amount of clear coat on it to keep it from rubbing off. Once I have used all the colors, I then use 2 small dots on the reel. I keep a spreadsheet on my phone that has the reel model, date I purchased the line, brand,series, lb test, color of line, type, date I installed it, which rod it is on, how much I spooled and any additional notes. I track it by the color of the dots I use. Depending on the reel, I put the dots on an exposed area of the reel seat. I realize this may not work as well for those that keep a million rods in the boat but I don’t carry more than 15 rods so it works perfectly for me.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

A little different than marking each rod or reel, I use a dry erase board on the wall next to the boat. Each rod is listed on it, jig, light jig, big crankbait, little crankbait, spinner bait, etc. (yes, many of the rods are the same so I list what I use them for not brand or model #). I add the date and type of line next to each and just update that when I respool.
    2B576211

19. Member
    I use colored zip ties. 100 per color for $5 on Amazon

i just use a BPS carbonlite. has a dial on the end.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast