Megabass Magdraft question...

I fished the 6 inch Magdraft (pre-rigged version with the magnet) this weekend. Looks awesome on Chris Zaldain's videos and my buddies at the tackle shop rave about it. For me, about every third cast it wouldn't swim straight. Naturally, it is on the times you make that pinpoint cast. The magnet isn't doesn't hold it in the center all the time. I was constantly haven't to fiddle with it. Anyone else have this experience? Should I just switch to the Freestyle version and rig it with a Flashy Swimmer.

2. Member
    I am far from the most experienced person with this bait, but I use it occasionally. I don't rely on the magnet. It has a bit of a pocket to tuck one of the hooks up into. Maybe trying this will keep the hook straight and keep it running true.

3. Member
    You know what, that will probably solve the problem. Thanks!

The videos where I've seen Zaldain rig it, he does exactly what PSchueller recommends: one point of the treble hook up in that pocket.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Also, if you can't get it running right or just want to make it weedless like the Freestyle, the guys at The Hook Up Tackle have a video showing how to remove the weight system from the standard Magdraft and that allows you to rig it weedless. Here's a link to the video:

I think it's about 8-10 minutes into the video where he talks about how to remove the weight/magnet system.

6. Member
    If I have on that the magnet won't hold, I bend one of the trebels out and stick it in the body itself. Only time I ever have trouble with it coming loose is if I hit the bank or something with it.
    As far as not running straight, you can bend and adjust the weight harness to change how they run. Kind of like tuning a crank bait.
    If it's trying to roll on you while coming through the water, you're cranking too fast.
    The freestyles are great and have their use, but I prefer the rigged versions action. With the harness it has a little head shake to it while it swims. Stick a jighead or an underbelly weighted hook and the head shake is gone.

7. Scraps
    Saw a Randy Blaukat video where he suggest adding a second swivel to the hook. Puts the hook further back on the bait to catch short strikers and allows you to stick the hook in the body without bending.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    It could be you are reeling it too fast. It will roll on its side if you. Gotta reel it slooooow

This ^^^^.... I've caught myself doing it alot, but when it alls goes inline and the bigginz bite, it's all worth the price of the lure