Thread: St Clair.

St Clair.

I will be passing through on the May17th and have one day to fish. Any suggestions?

thanks.

2. dartag1829
    Spend the money and book a charter with Marcel's Guide Service. I have no connection to them other than I know the guides. They all know the lake and you will have a great day. If your bringing your own boat you should be able to find them shallow along the Mile Roads.

3. Member
    Good advice, might want to reach out sooner than later as he stays booked up most of the year.

http://www.marcelsguideservice.com/

4. Member
    Do what everyone else does from out of town and find a boat that's catching them and join the party. No rules for St Clair, especially pre-spawn!

5. Member
    Lol the ole bent pole pattern.

6. Member
    Lol well I hope not everyone has that reputation from out of town. But I do only have one day maybe day and a half. Hell I have never even been to Michigan so this will all be new to me. I will have the wife with me so we will see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammons5 View Post
    Lol well I hope not everyone has that reputation from out of town. But I do only have one day maybe day and a half. Hell I have never even been to Michigan so this will all be new to me. I will have the wife with me so we will see how it goes.
    It is definitely not only out of towners that utilize the bent rod pattern...

8. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jessemyers View Post
    YEP!!!

I've had many come up on me close enough to where I can see the "MC" on their registration numbers.........

But, I "let them know" they were getting too close.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post
    YEP!!!

I've had many come up on me close enough to where I can see the "MC" on their registration numbers.........

But, I "let them know" they were getting too close.
    I've just become numb to it. I now usually strike up a conversation, unless they start to cut me off or interfere with the fun. There is usually more fish on a spot than I could catch by myself this time of year anyway. It is a special time of year!

10. Member
    I've just become numb to it. I now usually strike up a conversation, unless they start to cut me off or interfere with the fun. There is usually more fish on a spot than I could catch by myself this time of year anyway. It is a special time of year!
    exactly, last weekend I was on the phone and putting some rods away as my wife was still fishing, she catches a couple so we figured we'll continue fishing for a bit longer. As soon as I stand up I see a kayak start moving closer, didn't think much of it because there were several boats in tight in this area, within the next couple casts he stops about 20-25 feet off the side of the boat sitting over the spot my wife had just caught her last two fish and we were actively casting to that area. So I cast directly next to him landing a couple feet off the side of the kayak and barely got a glance, so I politely asked him to keep moving, which he did with a nod and a wave.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

11. Member
    You're right, we see it from Michigan folks too sometimes. Gotta love pre-spawn on St Clair!

12. Member
    Yep, we were talking last weekend this is probably the last of the quiet weekend days for the next six months. The pleasure boat traffic will start to increase. Silly season will be in full swing.

I just don't understand the pack mentality. We totally avoid it, I don't have the patience anymore. Plenty of boats with MC numbers acting stupid too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammons5 View Post
    I will be passing through on the May17th and have one day to fish. Any suggestions?

thanks.
    Download sailflow on your phone and watch the wind forecast double digits from east north or south and you may be heading for a divorce. Pure west can be doable on the west shore.

You can also check this before you go out....

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=clsm4

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

14. Member
    Awesome thanks. She will only take so much rough water....then I am swimming back. From what I gather so far....respect other boats...be prepared to have other boats around me (if I catch any), and fish the miles roads area. Like I said this will be my first time even to Michigan so hopefully we can find one or two somewhere and keep out of others way.

15. Member
    You’ll have fish in all 3 phases that time of year. Zig zag depths 4-12 and you’ll come across them. I typically concentrate 14 mile and south to the mouth of the Detroit river. You can catch them any number of ways power and finesse. I’m heading there tomorrow, going to be a cold start but still looking forward to it.