90 Evinrude VE150SLESB Voltage Issue??

I noticed on my last outing for the season that my tachometer was jumping all over the place and that my volt gauge was reading incredibly high voltages, ~16-17 volts. Getting it ready for this season, running on muffs, I once again noticed high voltages but the RPMs looked steady. I measured the voltage at the battery and it matched what the gauge was saying. I shut down the engine and restarted and it was back to normal. Does this sound like a voltage regulator issue? Is there a way to troubleshoot it?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    My first instinct is a bad/loose ground. If voltage exceeds 14.4 VDC the VR/R is on its way out and conversely if the Vr/r fails to charge with the motor running it's on its way out.

3. Member
    I ran it today and at first the tach did not work and running voltage at the battery was 12.36v. I turned it on and off a few times and the tach started working again. At initial start up volts read normal but then increased up to around 17.5volts. I checked all grounds for looseness and didn't find anything.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Look at the top of the block under the flywheel for melted insulation from the stator and inspect the stator for burnt coils. If that is good replace VR. Flywheel will have to come off to replace it. You should also perform stator tests.

5. Member
    Spoke with the folks over at CDI today about my issue. His first thought is that it was the battery. I guess certain batteries are not good for the charging system. Anyone ever hear of this or ran into this issue?

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes wet cell cranking battery manual calls for a minimum 500 CCA battery but bigger is better. Never a deep cycle.

7. Member
    OK i have a flooded cell battery, it's an Everstart Maxx battery. Guy at CDI spouted off some brand I should replace it with saying that it must be a non-maintenance free battery. I can pop off the vent cover and see the acid so I would think that is exactly what I have. I think it was CDI's way of disregarding that their part is failing, what you think?

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    There part has a two year warranty, you didn't mention that the V/R had been replaced. I never mix brands when it comes to electronic parts.

9. Member
    My timer base went out last year and I replaced that and the stator (it was starting to melt) at the same time with CDI parts. The previous owner replaced the VR with a CDI device prior to me replacing the timer base and stator just dont know how far out. I ordered a new VR seeing that all signs are pointing to it being the culprit

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Best of luck.

11. Member
    Replaced the VR and everything is all good. Thankfully i didn't waste money on a new battery. Thanks for the help

12. Member

Post Thanks, Championman

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Look at the top of the block under the flywheel for melted insulation from the stator and inspect the stator for burnt coils. If that is good replace VR. Flywheel will have to come off to replace it. You should also perform stator tests.
    Thank you for this post. I just put a 1989 Johnson 70, (J70TLCEM) on the pontoon boat as an upgrade from the Evnirude 50. It runs great, but voltage goes through the roof even at idle. Everything looks good. I went through all connections, replaced the battery and just replaced the voltage regulator, but no change. Still high voltage. Tach works fine, interestingly.

I plan to pull the flywheel and inspect all wiring and the stator as posted above.
    Any other thoughts?