Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CX21 w/ Bravo 1 FS 23.5 pitch prop test

Boat setup: CX21 w/250 merc pro xs. No power poles, live wells full, dual console, 2 guys, minimal tackle, 85 percent fuel

Tested out the new prop today. Went from a 24p Fury 3 blade to a Bravo 1 23.5p 4 blade... Wow, what a difference! Feels like a different boat. I also moved the third wet cell trolling battery to the crank battery side to balance load, which did correct the low speed list to port these boats seem to have.

back to the Bravo 1 FS prop:
    Prop came with pvs plugs, fully closed off, no venting. I ran it that way. From a dead stop, trimmed down, atlas hydraulic plate at 3 on gauge. Punched the hot foot to the floor and boat is immediately on plane with no prop blowout or cavitation. Feels like I have more bow and stern lift without even trimming or raising plate. Started trimming up a little and it gets to speed very quickly. Water today was pretty rough, but this prop picks the boat up and drives right through it. I am a novice boat driver, and I felt totally comfortable with this setup. Only able to reach 63 mph into a head wind and bad chop on water, jack plate at 6 and rpm at 5880. Still breaking in motor, so I didn’t have time to get trim and plate height perfect. I think this prop will hit high 60s when properly trimmed and plate is correct. More importantly, the boat drives like a sports car now. The severe chine walk / “bow roll” is all but gone. I can easily drive it with minimal driver input. It’s not the fastest top end prop, but it will get me to its top speed faster than most.

In summary, Bravo 1 FS 23.5p fully plugged is my new “road course” rough conditions prop. A 24p fury 3 will be the smooth water, make long runs prop. Most lakes I fish don’t require long runs, and those that do have 2 to 4 foot rollers and “bath tub” conditions... the Bravo 1 FS is now primary prop. Boat just rides on top better and the acceleration is incredible.

I may try a 25 bravo 1 in the future to see about top end speed, but the 23.5 is great so far and doesn’t seem to hit rev limiter

2. Member
    Thank you for posting an update. Let us know if anything changes? I’d like to hear some more after additional time on the water.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

3. Member
    I changed over my 3 battery to cranking battery side last year. Changed my boat, it was definitely the lean fix. I even walked David plant manager at caymas this tip. Keep us updated on props changes. Congratulations on your conclusions.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    Thank you for posting an update. Let us know if anything changes? I’d like to hear some more after additional time on the water.
    Will do. I should get a calm water, no wind morning end of this month to get better top end numbers on the Bravo1.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    I changed over my 3 battery to cranking battery side last year. Changed my boat, it was definitely the lean fix. I even walked David plant manager at caymas this tip. Keep us updated on props changes. Congratulations on your conclusions.
    Yes, it seems to really help. Glad Caymas will be aware, hopefully they make battery placement 2x2 for wet cells and agm on dual console boats instead of 3x1. Lithium batt boats may be different. Probably should just add a battery tray and extra wiring to allow battery to move if necessary. Maybe make it an option/upgrade?

6. Member
    I too am looking to buy this prop to run on my CX20. It's my understanding that there are two shaft diameters 1" and 1" 1/4 on the Merc 250proXS. Which one do I need? Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by CX21 View Post
    Boat setup: CX21 w/250 merc pro xs. No power poles, live wells full, dual console, 2 guys, minimal tackle, 85 percent fuel

Tested out the new prop today. Went from a 24p Fury 3 blade to a Bravo 1 23.5p 4 blade... Wow, what a difference! Feels like a different boat. I also moved the third wet cell trolling battery to the crank battery side to balance load, which did correct the low speed list to port these boats seem to have.

back to the Bravo 1 FS prop:
    Prop came with pvs plugs, fully closed off, no venting. I ran it that way. From a dead stop, trimmed down, atlas hydraulic plate at 3 on gauge. Punched the hot foot to the floor and boat is immediately on plane with no prop blowout or cavitation. Feels like I have more bow and stern lift without even trimming or raising plate. Started trimming up a little and it gets to speed very quickly. Water today was pretty rough, but this prop picks the boat up and drives right through it. I am a novice boat driver, and I felt totally comfortable with this setup. Only able to reach 63 mph into a head wind and bad chop on water, jack plate at 6 and rpm at 5880. Still breaking in motor, so I didn’t have time to get trim and plate height perfect. I think this prop will hit high 60s when properly trimmed and plate is correct. More importantly, the boat drives like a sports car now. The severe chine walk / “bow roll” is all but gone. I can easily drive it with minimal driver input. It’s not the fastest top end prop, but it will get me to its top speed faster than most.

In summary, Bravo 1 FS 23.5p fully plugged is my new “road course” rough conditions prop. A 24p fury 3 will be the smooth water, make long runs prop. Most lakes I fish don’t require long runs, and those that do have 2 to 4 foot rollers and “bath tub” conditions... the Bravo 1 FS is now primary prop. Boat just rides on top better and the acceleration is incredible.

I may try a 25 bravo 1 in the future to see about top end speed, but the 23.5 is great so far and doesn’t seem to hit rev limiter

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Carrillo View Post
    I too am looking to buy this prop to run on my CX20. It's my understanding that there are two shaft diameters 1" and 1" 1/4 on the Merc 250proXS. Which one do I need? Thx
    Just curious - Why run a Bravo on a CX20?

8. Member
    If someone has experience with this prop on a CX20 I'd love to know what you think. Here's my thoughts, I need a spare, improved hole shot, better rough water capability, and low speed planning. Losing a couple mph is not a concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Just curious - Why run a Bravo on a CX20?

9. Member
    Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke is 1 1/4” shaft. That is the prop size I use. Do yourself a favor and buy and extra hub kit. Makes changing prop a breeze.

10. Member
    Update: was able to get the plate and trim right and boat speed tops out at 66 mph at 6050 rpm with Bravo 1 FS 23.5 pitch. Again, not the fastest prop, but the control, acceleration, lift and rough water ride is awesome. Probably could run a 24 to 24.5 pitch Bravo 1, but with full tournament load, 23.5 feels right.

11. Member
    If someone has experience with this prop on a CX20 I'd love to know what you think. Here's my thoughts, I need a spare, improved hole shot, better rough water capability, and low speed planning. Losing a couple mph is not a concern.
    Just installed a 24P Bravo 1 on my CX20. I'm hoping to get on the water before the weekend. I'll post my results when I do.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CX21 View Post
    Update: was able to get the plate and trim right and boat speed tops out at 66 mph at 6050 rpm with Bravo 1 FS 23.5 pitch. Again, not the fastest prop, but the control, acceleration, lift and rough water ride is awesome. Probably could run a 24 to 24.5 pitch Bravo 1, but with full tournament load, 23.5 feels right.
    Do you think the 23" Bravo 1 FS would help get your rpms higher?
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

13. Member
    If you have the Fury three right you want need another prop from what i have seen on my CX 20 in some big rollers yesterday on Ky Lake. Now i don't have pp and i do run lithium ionic batteries. Personally for me i have ran the Bravo prop more than one and its not a prop for the tall rollers on Ky Lake (in my opinion any way). It has a slight hesitation on hole shot and i don't like that at all especially in rough water when you have to make split second decisions on punching threw a roller or landing right, RESPONSE TIME says a lot in rough water.

Again just my two cents on the Bravo prop and the ones i ran was a lab finish.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Personally for me i have ran the Bravo prop more than one and its not a prop for the tall rollers on Ky Lake (in my opinion any way). It has a slight hesitation on hole shot and i don't like that at all especially in rough water when you have to make split second decisions on punching threw a roller or landing right, RESPONSE TIME says a lot in rough water.
    I really appreciate this feedback. One of my big complaints is, even before adding the Talons and a full tournament load, the Fury blew out (hesitation) for a few seconds when coming out of the hole. I tried the jackplate at 0, at 3, everything in between all the way to 20, still had the same few seconds of not hooking up. I even talked to Rick at the factory. He did tell me that from what he's hearing, with a heavy load, the Bravo is the way to go. Even asked me to call him back when I run mine.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz1 View Post
    One of my big complaints is, even before adding the Talons and a full tournament load, the Fury blew out (hesitation) for a few seconds when coming out of the hole.
    Mine did this also. '21 CX20, Fury 3 24P with manual jack.

- Add full (covered) plugs in all vents. You don't want any vents open (or partially open) on a 4 stroke - per Mercury.

- Right when it starts to blow out (when full tuck on trim getting on plane), I hit the trim and start trimming up immediately and it comes out of the spin quick.

After I made these two changes I have no complaints at all. No affect on top end for me with adding full plugs. Mid 70s GPS..

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Mine did this also. '21 CX20, Fury 3 24P with manual jack.

- Add full (covered) plugs in all vents. You don't want any vents open (or partially open) on a 4 stroke - per Mercury.

- Right when it starts to blow out (when full tuck on trim getting on plane), I hit the trim and start trimming up immediately and it comes out of the spin quick.

After I made these two changes I have no complaints at all. No affect on top end for me with adding full plugs. Mid 70s GPS..
    Some news I can use. When talking to the factory last week, they were pretty sure that the PVS plugs should be out. I have a couple of plugs I'll put in and try. Thanks!

17. Member
    I felt the trim trick made a bigger difference than the vent plugs IMO. But the plugs helped some too..

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    Do you think the 23" Bravo 1 FS would help get your rpms higher?
    Probably. Merc Prop slip calculator is giving me about 15 percent. There is likely a better prop size in Bravo 1 FS for my setup, but I'm pretty happy with 23.5p so far. Plus at $800 bucks a hit, it will get pricey to find the exact match. Because I run different weights in the boat a lot, I will be missing the mark every other time I'm on the water. I can't win that battle.

19. Member
    Update: 5/1/2021 ran 23.5 Bravo1 FS on CX21 fully tournament loaded, 2 guys at 67.8 mph @ 6180 this seems to be the limit for this prop on my setup. Prop slip calc says about 13 percent. Played with jack plate and trim, but this is all she had today. Air Temps were mild, high 50s low 60s. Past the break in period, so was able to stay in it and air it out.

20. BBC SPONSOR
    This is my experiance on all the boats I've owned. If you want easy driving, and control go with a 4 blade in "most" applications. If you want the best top speed go with a 3 blade..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast